Feb 12, 2021
Hello everyone,

I recently hooked up my old computer with a different SSD. It has windows on it but when I boot the computer up I get stuck in bios. The screen completely freezes. I have hooked up 2 other HDD's that i know have windows on it and the computer still wont boot. I know the hardware is good, I just cant figure out why it wont boot up from the SSD/HDD. I know if I can get into bios and have the mouse work I could probably fix it. Either the computer is freezing or the mouse/keyboard wont work in bios. Help please!!!

Thanks

Solution
If we're talking about Windows 10, it's quite resilient to major hardware changes. I have a Win10 SSD that I use on my test bench and I've moved it from an AMD system (where it was originally installed) to Intel, and back, then repeated twice over. It'll just go through a "Getting Windows Ready" screen, maybe reboot once, then it's up and running.

I would suspect that other issues are at play with the OP's system. I would remove all the drives and see if you can get into BIOS.... check the AHCI vs IDE mode setting as a starter.
The OS you have to boot on that system is the OS that was installed on that system. You cannot just pop a Windows from another system and expect it to work on another system. Different hardware. Different drivers.

Does the system even boot and go to the bios if you have 0 drives connected?

Full system specs please.

Last edited:

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
If we're talking about Windows 10, it's quite resilient to major hardware changes. I have a Win10 SSD that I use on my test bench and I've moved it from an AMD system (where it was originally installed) to Intel, and back, then repeated twice over. It'll just go through a "Getting Windows Ready" screen, maybe reboot once, then it's up and running.

I would suspect that other issues are at play with the OP's system. I would remove all the drives and see if you can get into BIOS.... check the AHCI vs IDE mode setting as a starter.

Solution
Feb 12, 2021
Okay I agree with the OS not being the issue. When I boot it without a drive it boots to the american megatrends screen where it shows my specs. Press enter to recover bios settings. But my keyboard and mouse doesnt work. Ive tried all the usb ports. I noticed something while trying to get into bios earlier, the mouse worked for like 1 second and then it froze. So when it first boots i can press F2 or del and itll get me into bios but i only have like 1 second then it either freezes or my keyboard and mouse just doesnt work. Any thoughts??

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021
Thanks for your replies. Ive come to the conclusion that the motherboard is probably bad. I just recently moved to a new house and its been moved quite a bit. Thanks for all your responses but i have tried everything.