[SOLVED] Old SSD with OS Installed, into a New Build

May 3, 2020
Hi,

I've got an SSD from a previous self-build that died. The drive is fine and has an OEM Windows 10 install on it. I also have a 1TB storage drive from that same system. I will be replacing everything except the processor and the aforementioned drive.

After looking at forums I can't seem to find a definitive answer or clear guidance based on my circumstance.

I would like to know if I could install the SSD and boot as normal, back-up any necessary files to an external drive, and perform a fresh install once my files are safe.

D'Arcy

Solution
Hi,

I've got an SSD from a previous self-build that died. The drive is fine and has an OEM Windows 10 install on it. I also have a 1TB storage drive from that same system. I will be replacing everything except the processor and the aforementioned drive.

After looking at forums I can't seem to find a definitive answer or clear guidance based on my circumstance.

I would like to know if I could install the SSD and boot as normal, back-up any necessary files to an external drive, and perform a fresh install once my files are safe.

D'Arcy
There is NO guarantee that you can simply boot it up in the new hardware and copy your files off.

You back up any files on that drive BEFORE you put it in the new system.
Then, you just do a...
Hi dapostrophe.

You're gonna rebuild that system with new parts. If you take that SSD with the OS on it and try to boot on the new system it could
  • Boot ok and you will be able to get the data off it and reinstall Windows like you want
  • It won't boot to the OS because this won't be the same hardware. Another motherboard means different chipset drivers and the OS won't like that.
There is an easier way. Plug that SSD in another system as a storage drive and not the boot drive and get the data out off it before installing it in the new system or you can get a SSD adapter to plug it directly to USB on any machine to get the data.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,

D'Arcy
There is NO guarantee that you can simply boot it up in the new hardware and copy your files off.

You back up any files on that drive BEFORE you put it in the new system.
Then, you just do a full wipe and install, when it is in the new system.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS