[SOLVED] Old SSD WITHOUT Windows to new build

Nov 21, 2019
Hello,

I have two SSDs on my old pc, one only has games installed. I am building a new PC and want to use the one without Windows and make it my primary SSD and install windows after I build.

Is this as simple as plug and go? Or do I have to take other steps to ensure it will play nicely with my Motherboard?

Thank you.

Solution
I have two SSDs on my old pc, one only has games installed. I am building a new PC and want to use the one without Windows and make it my primary SSD and install windows after I build.
Is this as simple as plug and go?
Depends on partition configuration on the drive and if you want to keep your installed games or not.

If you don't want to keep the games, then simply clean the drive and install windows.
If you want to keep them, then this will be more complicated. May require backing up data to some other drive first.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

Is this as simple as plug and go? Or do I have to take other steps to ensure it will play nicely with my Motherboard?

Thank you.
What drive type?
If a typical 2.5" SATA III drive, just plug it in. Nothing special needed.

Is this as simple as plug and go?
Depends on partition configuration on the drive and if you want to keep your installed games or not.

If you don't want to keep the games, then simply clean the drive and install windows.
If you want to keep them, then this will be more complicated. May require backing up data to some other drive first.

Solution
Nov 21, 2019
Thank you for the quick, helpful replies!

Typical 2.5" SATA 6

Don't care about the games - will reinstall not a big deal. Simple clean as in just delete them? Or would I need to use the Samsung Magician software?

Diskpart clean is enough.

diskpart-clean-drive-windows-10-cmd.jpg

Reactions: USAFRet