Old Studio XPS Acting up after maintenance.

Feb 28, 2018
I recently cleaned out my PC and installed a new video card: EVGA Gtx 960. I'm running a Dell Studio XPS 9100 with all base specs minus the new video card. I feel like the more maintenance I give her, the more odd issues pop up, almost like she's going, 'well while you're here..."
Anyway, when my computer boots up, it takes a good while to be able to open anything like the control panel, popup menu for the taskbar items, open new programs. I don't have a lot of bloat. I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I've already used CrystalDisc to check my hard drive. All is good. I did a memory diagnostic. That came back okay. The hard drive is not 'dirty'. My CPU never runs above 60C. I keep a close eye on everything, so I'm pretty worried I may have fried it when I was doing maintenance. I was super careful to ground myself and not touch anything though?

Solution
Sounds like it fixed itself as it were. That's always good.
The only other thing would have been a CMOS reset, but a bit of a stretch given the problem.
Updated drivers? Clean installed graphics driver? Checked for viruses or malware?

Did you change PSU? I ask this one specifically because my old pre-builts tend to have low wattage PSUs which may not cope that well with a graphics card. Would certainly suggest checking this out.

Check various cables too in case something got knocked and displaced.

Feb 28, 2018

My PSU is a 525W. The graphics card needs a 400 minimum. I did a lot of research and this was one of the most recommended upgrades. :p And yes, I did a clean install of the Nvidia drivers, and made sure everything else was up to date. I tried to do a system restore and the restore failed, but after restarting the computer works totally fine now. My antivirus, anti-malware all come up clean. I even ran a few extra things(CC cleaner for the hard drive and caches, emsisoft in case something snuck by), everything is clean. She booted up quick, keeps cool, runs great. Maybe she just needed an extra restart after having so much hardware removed and moved around.

Feb 28, 2018
Just an update. It was Bitdefender. I uninstalled it, installed Avast and it hasn't done it again since. The new Bitdefender update was making it act stupid.