papa

Just an observation.

I am using Windows XP Pro on a new PC I recently built. The motherboard has
PS/2 ports for the mouse and keyboard. Rather than buy a new PS/2 keyboard,
I used one of my older ones that has the big old-style connector. Then I
purchased an old-style to PS/2 adapter in order to connect this keyboard to
my computer PS/2 keyboard port.

This keyboard works fine once Windows is up and running. However, if I need
to use the keyboard BEFORE Windows is up (such as when selecting a menu
option after hitting F8), the keyboard is dead.

Basic PS/2 keyboards are inexpensive, you may have paid more
for the adapter than the cost of a new keyboard.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
| Just an observation.
|
| I am using Windows XP Pro on a new PC I recently built.
The motherboard has
| PS/2 ports for the mouse and keyboard. Rather than buy a
new PS/2 keyboard,
| I used one of my older ones that has the big old-style
connector. Then I
| purchased an old-style to PS/2 adapter in order to connect
this keyboard to
| my computer PS/2 keyboard port.
|
| This keyboard works fine once Windows is up and running.
However, if I need
| to use the keyboard BEFORE Windows is up (such as when
selecting a menu
| option after hitting F8), the keyboard is dead.

I have done this on one machine and my keyboard workes even before windows
loads.....

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> Just an observation.
>
> I am using Windows XP Pro on a new PC I recently built. The motherboard
> has PS/2 ports for the mouse and keyboard. Rather than buy a new PS/2
> keyboard, I used one of my older ones that has the big old-style
> connector. Then I purchased an old-style to PS/2 adapter in order to
> connect this keyboard to my computer PS/2 keyboard port.
>
> This keyboard works fine once Windows is up and running. However, if I
> need to use the keyboard BEFORE Windows is up (such as when selecting a
> menu option after hitting F8), the keyboard is dead.

papa

Yeah. I had the same experience on a different computer and different
keyboard.

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>I have done this on one machine and my keyboard workes even before windows
>loads.....
>

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>> Just an observation.
>>
>> I am using Windows XP Pro on a new PC I recently built. The motherboard
>> has PS/2 ports for the mouse and keyboard. Rather than buy a new PS/2
>> keyboard, I used one of my older ones that has the big old-style
>> connector. Then I purchased an old-style to PS/2 adapter in order to
>> connect this keyboard to my computer PS/2 keyboard port.
>>
>> This keyboard works fine once Windows is up and running. However, if I
>> need to use the keyboard BEFORE Windows is up (such as when selecting a
>> menu option after hitting F8), the keyboard is dead.

There may be a problem with the "old" keyboard. I have successfully use
these type of "rare" adapters and only had problems when the keyboard was
defective.

> Yeah. I had the same experience on a different computer and different
> keyboard.
>
> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have done this on one machine and my keyboard workes even before windows
>>loads.....
>>

>> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>>> Just an observation.
>>>
>>> I am using Windows XP Pro on a new PC I recently built. The motherboard
>>> has PS/2 ports for the mouse and keyboard. Rather than buy a new PS/2
>>> keyboard, I used one of my older ones that has the big old-style
>>> connector. Then I purchased an old-style to PS/2 adapter in order to
>>> connect this keyboard to my computer PS/2 keyboard port.
>>>
>>> This keyboard works fine once Windows is up and running. However, if I
>>> need to use the keyboard BEFORE Windows is up (such as when selecting a
>>> menu option after hitting F8), the keyboard is dead.

papa

Very possible. Thanks.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>Just an observation.
>
>I am using Windows XP Pro on a new PC I recently built. The motherboard has
>PS/2 ports for the mouse and keyboard. Rather than buy a new PS/2 keyboard,
>I used one of my older ones that has the big old-style connector. Then I
>purchased an old-style to PS/2 adapter in order to connect this keyboard to
>my computer PS/2 keyboard port.
>
>This keyboard works fine once Windows is up and running. However, if I need
>to use the keyboard BEFORE Windows is up (such as when selecting a menu
>option after hitting F8), the keyboard is dead.

I do the reverse hookup all the time in my shop. I have a PS/2
keyboard connected to a KVM switch and I use an adapter on the end of
of one of the PS/2 keyboard cables whenever I have a machine in ths
shop with the old style connector.

Of course yesterday I had two such machines in the shop (cleaning them
up for donation to a local school) and only 1 adapter.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

papa

> Of course yesterday I had two such machines in the shop (cleaning them
> up for donation to a local school) and only 1 adapter.

I guess that is just one of Murphy's many laws. I usually have most of the
tools I need downstairs when there is a job to do upstairs, and vice-versa,
and I can NEVER find my glasses. ;>)