Before I start to go into the problem, here are the specs of my system;

CPU: i5-4690k
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
Ram: Generic DDR3 2x8 gb sticks
Storage: 256 GB SSD
Graphics Card: RX 480
PSU: Solid Gear 750 W Semi modular
Case: Corsair 300R

The problem I am facing is the system will not post into bios or past that. When the power button is pressed, everything starts to move, the fans start spinning, the lights turn on, it seems like the system is working, but then it turns off. This process repeats until it is disconnected from power by either unplugging it or turning off the power supply. I am also aware that it was not the smartest to buy a power supply that doesn't have an efficiency rating and generic RAM, but this was my first system that I built about two years ago. I have been troubleshooting this system for almost a year now but it hasn't been that big of a deal to fix to me. I am getting a bit more interested into fixing it lately and I can't figure it out, hence why I am posting here. So far all that I have tried is a different graphics card (I have another RX 480 and a Vega 64), trying each RAM stick individually (I don't have any more DDR3 sticks), and a multitude of different storage devices. I have another completely working system where I could the good power supply on the broken system and the broken systems power supply on the working system, but I was not sure if that was a safe idea. I thought I read somewhere that a motherboard could break a PSU and a PSU could break a motherboard, making me uneasy about testing it without certain it is the best action for me to take. I could be incorrect, but I have the faintest memory of switching the voltage of the power supply, though I cannot remember why or when. Hopefully you guys can help me fix this system or at help me take the best course of action towards it. Thanks!

Edit: The system stopped working after I switched the system the power supply was in. What happened was I got a new case, and everything in the system listed was switched over to it. I got a new mobo and CPU, and put the old mobo and cpu in the old 300R case, but without a PSU or anything. Once I got a new PSU, I switched the old one back and the system doesn't work. I have checked a thousand times over that everything is connected where it is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Bannable

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
Yes it could if it caused a power surge. I had an Antec PSU blow up and it took out the motherboard. Somehow the RAM and GPU survived.
I should probably at this to the post because this just reminded me of it, but the system stopped working after I switched the system the power supply was in. What happened was I got a new case, and everything in the system listed was switched over to it. I got a new mobo and CPU, and put the old mobo and cpu in the old 300R case, but without a PSU or anything. Once I got a new PSU, I switched the old one back and the system doesn't work. I have checked a thousand times over that everything is connected where it is supposed to be.