Old system question...

Airek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hey folks

So I have an old Athlon 64 system that I managed to keep built throughout time. The only thing I've "lost" is the hard drive. I had an old 40gb one lying around that my brother passed my way. I threw it in there and after a bit of tinkering I got it to be read and to my surprise it even booted up the copy of Windows XP it had on it.

Now this computer is soon to be run off of a wireless connection to have in our bedroom as STRICTLY an internet browsing computer. Nothing else. No games whatsoever.

Throughout time I have lost any discs that might have been for this computer. No drivers. Nothing. What is currently installed on the drive is anything that he might had on it. I haven't got an internet connection going to it yet, but everything seems to be running just fine for what it is.

My question is this: are there any problems with keeping it in its current state? Wrong drivers, no drivers, etc... I'm not concerned about the lifespan on this computer or any of its parts. For what I'm wanting to use it for, is the way it's currently set up (or not set up) ok?

Eric

Well, generally it's best to have stable and correct drivers for your system. If a driver has a memory leak, for example, then you're not really going to be able to have it on all the time as it will be prone to crashing. It's best though to find out the motherboard manufacturer and model number so that you can download any missing drivers or stable ones to replace misbehaving ones. As for your wireless connection it just depends on your wireless adapters. Some are more stable than others. For the low cost brands Trendnets are pretty good as far as quality, support, and stability. Their drivers usually work the first time and their included tool, which I find useless, doesn't cause any problems, unlike the ones from netgear or encore which can be a pain.

Airek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Ok then, my next question.

If I do go about getting the correct drivers for the system, would their websites have them to download? As I said, I've lost all discs at this point.

Also do I need to do a completely fresh Windows install, can I install in the system's current state, or do I need to some how remove the old to install the new? Seems I might have to try and dig out my Windows disc.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The manufacture's websites should have all of the drivers for the board and the accessories that you are using as long as they are not too old....

I am puzzled by the fact that windows has not asked you to re-activate it yet... which it might do when you put the new drivers in... but that is no big deal.... you just have to phone the automated activation line and verify that this OS is on 1 machine and that it is the only copy installed and that you had some kind of hardware failure... you will get a new activation number to key in after that....