Old system wont boot into windows 10 - need help ASAP!

darklex

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
I found an old gigabyte ga p35 dq6 with an core 2 quad q6600 and 2gb ram. I added a set of 2x4gb ram sticks and an AMD HD6770 (psu is overkill). It was running fine but the os the hdd had was windows XP. Here's the problem:

I need the pc for some light gaming. When trying to install windows 10 from a usb disk, the motherboard wont boot from usb even when adding it 1st in boot priority. Since this has failed (and I have no CD installation disk for any OS) I tried Ubuntu, yet no luck! I just tried installing another HDD from my PC (windows 10 installed) but although I can see the HDD at bios (and all it's info), the system, it will always stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data". I have tried some troubleshoots but nothing. Have you got any suggestions? Thanks!

Hey there, @darklex!

I'm afraid that @Calvin is right, if this an old mobo, you could be dealing with incompatibility issues with the Windows 10 OS version. However, I'd definitely follow his advice and check the official motherboard manufacturer's website and find the model there. While on it, make sure you got the latest chipset and SATA drivers installed and also check the BIOS version. Make sure you flash yours, if needed. For the detailed step-by-step guide on the upgrade, follow the instructions from the mobo's manual. (There should be a copy online available for download on the product page of the motherboard)

Hope this helps you. Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

the motherboard wont boot from usb even when adding it 1st in boot priority. Since this has failed (and I have no CD installation disk for any OS) I tried Ubuntu, yet no luck! I just tried installing another HDD from my PC (windows 10 installed) but although I can see the HDD at bios (and all it's info), the system, it will always stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data". I have tried some troubleshoots but nothing. Have you got any suggestions? Thanks!

so you tried installing Windows, and Ubuntu and got the same results. previous people have covered Wins10 issues, though I think your issue is using another configured pc windows 10 into this much older pc...

but back to your issue at hand why can you not get Usb to boot /format windows or Ubuntu.
are you using RUFUS as your USB boot manager pointing the ISO boot to be used from Add to dictionary file?
an improperly configure boot usb will end up giving you an no boot sequence...