Old Unused UPS still good?

dean475

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I have an old "20 Years Minimum" Unisys UP 950 uninterruptible power supply. It has never been used. When I now plug it in NADA. This I can understand. Undoubtedly the replaceable battery is dead. My question is do you think It is worth while to try to fix it. It is a 1400VA 950W unit

Solution
20 years old? Seriously doubt it's pure sinewave, those units have much shorter runtime as compared to the cheaper simulated sinewave, and pure sinewave are pretty much a requirement for many active pfc psus, which really weren't around much back then. Most psus were passive pfc group regulated, not apfc dc-dc.

So chances are good that that UPS will match up tech-wise with what's available back then. Meaning if you have a group regulated, older design psu now then it's prolly a good match. If you have a newer dc-dc apfc psu now, chances it's going to be iffy and basically be nothing more than a huge power surge protection as your psu will shut down once the ups switches to battery.
It will depend upon what you're going to be using it for. If you're going to be using it for a computer then you need to determine whether or not your computer's power supply unit can operate on a simulated sine wave or non-sinusoidal power wave form. If your computer's PSU is unable to tolerate a simulated sine wave or non-sinusoidal power wave form then the UPS will not successfully switch over to battery backup mode during a power interruption event rendering the UPS a useless device.

Actually, I changed my mind. The power factor hasn't changed much on commonly available UPSs today. Their efficiency is frequently less than 70% (that's the 950W number divided by 1400VA, which for your unit would be around 68%). I'd say go ahead and replace the batteries if you need the unit.

for a 1400VA system, even though it older and probably not as efficent, you would be spending 150+ for a 1500 VA system if you really needed that kind of power. Buying the needed batteries at 15-25 a pop may or may not be worth it depending on how many batteries it takes or if it will still even work.

Unless you power it it will be hard to know if it works.
I have a couple of APC units running for 16 and 14 years and I just keep changing the batteries.
I do have a Unisys UP9125 in a closet that looks pretty old. I do not know when was purchased but I have replaced the battery 3 times.
I suggest you get the manual from Unisys and check the inside of the unit in case there is corrosion, in which case it could be useless.
There are online vendors like Batteries Plus Bulbs and Battery Mart where you could find replacement batteries.
Last battery I got was from Apex Super Store, since it was inexpensive.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
20 years old? Seriously doubt it's pure sinewave, those units have much shorter runtime as compared to the cheaper simulated sinewave, and pure sinewave are pretty much a requirement for many active pfc psus, which really weren't around much back then. Most psus were passive pfc group regulated, not apfc dc-dc.

So chances are good that that UPS will match up tech-wise with what's available back then. Meaning if you have a group regulated, older design psu now then it's prolly a good match. If you have a newer dc-dc apfc psu now, chances it's going to be iffy and basically be nothing more than a huge power surge protection as your psu will shut down once the ups switches to battery.

Solution