Old v Slightly Newer v New - Approximate performance difference.

calza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
I know this is really subjective, and am not asking for exact numbers. Just an approximation of gaming performance increase.

Graphics card: R9 280x
Current Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 710
Sligthly Newer; AMD Phenom II X4 960T
Newer: Intel I5 4670k

Now obviously the ram would be upgraded with the new processor (currently have 8gb and can't remember the speed but it's not high).

I guess what I'm asking is that a 960T will cost me £60, vs around £330 for Ram + Mobo + Processor so is it 'worth' it? I know the I5 is a lot more powerful, but also that gaming is dictated by GPU not CPU?

Hope this makes since and look forward to any replies / opinons :)

Solution
Go with the Intel. When comparing the gaming performance from even the best AMD to the best Intel processor, there's a 30% increase in performance given the same video card for just about any title. The architecture is what gives the Intel its advantage. I would say the difference between the phenom II's and the 4670K's performance would be even better. You should be able to use the same RAM for the new motherboard if you have 2x4GB or 4x2GB, you should take that into account when getting a new motherboard. I would suggest an Asus Z87-A for the motherboard as it offers the SLI option (for future flexibility), analog and digital surround sound output options as well as just about anything else most people need in a motherboard.

Rami Zerker Reini

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
R9 280x and I5-4670K would be extremely solid for gaming.

Gaming is dictated by mostly CPU and GPU and a bit by RAM, 8GB of RAM is suggested for gamers and that's all you need for gaming, for RAM speed 1600Mhz will do.

The other CPUs would be nice for gaming but if you want to play the best and latest games smoothly buy the I5-4670K.

Go with the Intel. When comparing the gaming performance from even the best AMD to the best Intel processor, there's a 30% increase in performance given the same video card for just about any title. The architecture is what gives the Intel its advantage. I would say the difference between the phenom II's and the 4670K's performance would be even better. You should be able to use the same RAM for the new motherboard if you have 2x4GB or 4x2GB, you should take that into account when getting a new motherboard. I would suggest an Asus Z87-A for the motherboard as it offers the SLI option (for future flexibility), analog and digital surround sound output options as well as just about anything else most people need in a motherboard.

Solution

calza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Thanks chaps, I was worried this would be the answer as it's a lot more expensive :)

So my old slower ram should be transferable, so I can at least stave off buying faster ram for a month?

If it's 1333, you should be ok. 1066 seems to be supported on some motherboards, but the spec for the processors integrated memory controller indicates 1333/1600:
http://ark.intel.com/products/75048/

Memory can usually be underclocked so even if the memory is 1066 rated, it should run. I would definitely try using your memory before buying new memory. You may even find memory is the last thing you'll need to upgrade. It doesn't usually make a huge difference in gaming performance.