Old video card is dead & need a replacement - what can I get to play Grand Theft Auo at high settings?

jabbadahut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
Three years ago I bought an MSI R9 270X 2GB gaming edition video card. It was working great, but about 4 months ago, I experienced a problem when I booted Windows 10 normally. I couldn't see anything on the screen. After doing some troubleshooting, I called MSI and they stated it was dead, so I sent it back to them to get it replaced. Unfortunately, they didn't have any & offered me a $135 refund.

Right now I'm using a 1 GB Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 card running my game at low settings. I would like to get a replacement that has the same chip but with 4 GB of RAM. I figure this should be enough to run the game at high settings, because that's the most I found the game to require with everything on max. If I can get a better one for no more than $200, great. However, I cannot seem to find any prices for one at pcpartpicker.com that's within my $200 budget. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I tried searching Google, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't listed as 'used.'

Information about my system is as follows:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus
Power Supply: XFX TS Edition PRO650W 650 Watts:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
CPU: FX-8320
RAM: 8 GB

Solution
A 270X is a rebadge of the HD 7870, these really weren't meant to be 4gb cards. In terms of performance you're talking entry level 1080p gaming, so that's 2gb vram territory. The new cards that fit this profile are the RX 460 and 560 or Nvidia 1050.

Since you mention you'd like a 4gb card, then I'd suggest the 1050 Ti if you'd like to use that $135 refund to pay for most of it. If you are willing to spend more, then a 3gb 1060 is worth getting. Yes it has 3gb but in real world use it's equivalent to a 4gb card.
A 270X is a rebadge of the HD 7870, these really weren't meant to be 4gb cards. In terms of performance you're talking entry level 1080p gaming, so that's 2gb vram territory. The new cards that fit this profile are the RX 460 and 560 or Nvidia 1050.

Since you mention you'd like a 4gb card, then I'd suggest the 1050 Ti if you'd like to use that $135 refund to pay for most of it. If you are willing to spend more, then a 3gb 1060 is worth getting. Yes it has 3gb but in real world use it's equivalent to a 4gb card.

Solution

jabbadahut

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, dontlistentome. I checked all those video cards over at Game Debate, & their system requirements tool stated that my CPU would have a bottleneck. I'd hate to replace the CPU, as I don't have the money for that. Is it true that these cards will cause a CPU bottleneck or is Game Debate just erring on the side of caution? If they do indeed cause one, does it hinder the game performance?