Old WD DUO Raid Drives inaccessible

Rynoski777

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Hello fellow Techies - looking for some bright ideas here to possibly get 1 of the 2 drives in this RAID set to be accessible again. I have only set up one Raid 0 set ever in my travels and I would like to pass this by some of you more experienced RAID'ers to see if a possible solution exists. I am an IT guy myself so possible answers don't have to be intricate. Right then!

We have this old WD MyBook Live DUO POS 6TB device whose enclosure took a crap on itself. Heat is my guess personally these things were blazing hot after trying to get the software to recognize the unit. The drives were yanked and slaved to other machines and all Windows 7 64-bit machines show the drives like this:

Both Drives show up in disk mgmt, both show "healthy" primary partitions and both are accessible to DISKPART. However, no volumes populate, drive letters cannot be assigned and some commands are unsuccessful. BREAK has no effect, converting to MBR doesn't work (although I assume that is because of the 2.2TB cap on MBR parts), and converting to Dynamic simply wipes out the lead reserved partition of the 5. Assuming it destroyed that one because of GPT structure.

So my guess is that this used to be a mirrored array as opposed to striped, and I'm not sure those DUO's could even be configured as JBOD - however I would think the partition layout would not be the way it is if THAT were the case. But no one knows for certain. Now I don't really know what all transpires when a RAID set is created or how anything is formatted partition layout wise, so running a bunch of utilities similar to /fixboot such and such or running it through SPINRITE (these are spindle drives) and burning all that time is not what I wanted to do without some minor feedback and checking. Because maybe there is a quick simple answer from someone whose experienced this. I also will probably just start messing with one disk as I probably have a viable second disk in case of emergency or disk utility foul up. My worry is if I foul up one disk and the other was actually a bad disk then I've lost both.

I would also like to assume that only ONE of these disks could be considered "bad" as it is unlikely both failed simultaneously. Meaning whatever is happening is more likely to be some raid formatting issue or something to the like. If I can undo that mystery operation maybe I can salvage the drive's data. I know my current machine which is housing the drives is Sata 6Gb capable so it's not a platform issue either. And obviously if I can see the drive is not a UEFI There is no horrible "clicking of death" and here is the kicker: Speccy informs me all S.M.A.R.T. data is GOOD status on both drives, and Raid Type lists "none"...

So, Tom's Nation -- Any bright ideas to try??

-Thanks in advance
Ryno

Solution
A year ago I performed a remote recovery on the same model 6TB WD MyBook Live Duo. Like many other NAS boxes it operates using Linux Software RAID aka mdadm This is from my notes on that case....

C++:
[======DISK======] [=============NAME==============] [====SIZE====]
[sda             ] [WDC WD30EZRX-00M               ] [     2.73 TB]
[sdb             ] [WDC WD30EZRX-00M               ] [     2.73 TB]

[=====DEVICE=====] [==FILESYS==] [======LABEL======] [====SIZE====] 
[sda1            ] [linux_raid_] [<unknown>        ] [     1.91 GB]
[sda2            ] [linux_raid_] [<unknown>        ] [     1.91 GB]
[sda3            ] [linux_raid_] [MyBookLiveDuo:2  ] [   489.00 MB]
[sda4            ] [linux_raid_] [MyBookLiveDuo:3  ] [     2.72 TB] 
[sdb1            ] [linux_raid_] [<unknown>...

S Haran

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
A year ago I performed a remote recovery on the same model 6TB WD MyBook Live Duo. Like many other NAS boxes it operates using Linux Software RAID aka mdadm This is from my notes on that case....

C++:
[======DISK======] [=============NAME==============] [====SIZE====]
[sda             ] [WDC WD30EZRX-00M               ] [     2.73 TB]
[sdb             ] [WDC WD30EZRX-00M               ] [     2.73 TB]

[=====DEVICE=====] [==FILESYS==] [======LABEL======] [====SIZE====] 
[sda1            ] [linux_raid_] [<unknown>        ] [     1.91 GB]
[sda2            ] [linux_raid_] [<unknown>        ] [     1.91 GB]
[sda3            ] [linux_raid_] [MyBookLiveDuo:2  ] [   489.00 MB]
[sda4            ] [linux_raid_] [MyBookLiveDuo:3  ] [     2.72 TB] 
[sdb1            ] [linux_raid_] [<unknown>        ] [     1.91 GB]
[sdb2            ] [linux_raid_] [<unknown>        ] [     1.91 GB] 
[sdb3            ] [linux_raid_] [MyBookLiveDuo:2  ] [   489.00 MB] 
[sdb4            ] [linux_raid_] [MyBookLiveDuo:3  ] [     2.72 TB]
[md126           ] [swap       ] [<unknown>        ] [   488.99 MB]
[md127           ] [ext4       ] [<unknown>        ] [     2.72 TB]

....so that is how the layout looks from a Linux perspective, md126 and md127 are the RAID volumes with md127 being the data volume in Linux ext4 format. The change you made to Dynamic Disk will have caused some damage but I expect data volume recovery is still possible. If you connect the RAID member drives to Linux it may auto-detect the RAID volumes. Or you might try data recovery apps like R-Studio / UFSexplorer./ GetDataBack and see what can be found.

Note most will advise you to make drive images as a backup in case something goes wrong.

If you get stuck or need help I am happy to assist remotely.

Solution