Question Old webcam into Dashcam

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
Just wondering if anyone has converted an old webcam into a dash cam

I thought about it and wanted to ask if anyone has seen some USB dongle that has one USB for a webcam, one USB for a thumb drive and a power port (USB or otherwise)

I have no clue if there is any such thing as this but just wanted to put it out there and see what comes up

I have a webcam laying around and i don't want to buy a dash cam and let my webcam sit around collecting dust

Just Curious

Thanks

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
What would you connect it to? A car stereo with a USB port does not know how to talk to a typical webcam.

Dashcams can be had for $40. I have one.

I have a 400w dual outlet, dual USB power inverter i use for charging my phone

I want something to connect to a power USB, thumb drive and the USB webcam and use the webcam to record and store it in the thumb drive when motion is detected or constantly

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 400w dual outlet, dual USB power inverter i use for charging my phone

I want something to connect to a power USB, thumb drive and the USB webcam and use the webcam to record and store it in the thumb drive when motion is detected or constantly
Right. The standard webcam can't do that by itself. Whatever it connects to (not just the power), needs the brain to record, and especially motion capture.

In a PC or laptop, the software on the PC does that. Your webcam is simply the lens. It does not know how to talk to a thumb drive on its own.

You could hack something together with a R Pi maybe.
But a dedicated dashcam would be much easier and cheaper.

sentry_gunner_531

Commendable
Dec 2, 2017
Yes

I know that the webcam is just a recording tool, i was just wondering if any Chinese company made a small adapter (when i say adapter i mean a device that enables automatic recording) that housed some simple electronics that would just conatantly record when any simple usb webcam was pluged it

I will most likely buy a dedicated dashcam but i was wondering if there was any easy plug and play simple recording adapter type thing

Thanks for response though