Question Old windows 10 HD as external HDD

Mar 16, 2019
Hi I have an HDD that I took out from a laptop that died recently. The HDD has lots of important software on it with much data.I have put this HDD in an external case that connects to my new laptop with a 3.0 usb. The HDD shows up as an external but I want to know is there a way I can make this a bootable drive where once I plug it in, it can turn into the windows that used to load up on my old laptop? Currently when I access it, it shows up only as files. I want ti be able to boot it like a windows where I can switch between this windows versus the new Windows that's on the laptop.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi I have an HDD that I took out from a laptop that died recently. The HDD has lots of important software on it with much data.I have put this HDD in an external case that connects to my new laptop with a 3.0 usb. The HDD shows up as an external but I want to know is there a way I can make this a bootable drive where once I plug it in, it can turn into the windows that used to load up on my old laptop? Currently when I access it, it shows up only as files. I want ti be able to boot it like a windows where I can switch between this windows versus the new Windows that's on the laptop.
No. You can't take a normal drive with a normal WIn 10 install, connect it externally (USB), and have it just boot up.