Question Old Xeons suggestions for multiple CPU build

Dec 15, 2019
I just saw this article about comparing between dual Xeon E5-2670 machine and a Threadripper 1950x machine:
https://www.rootusers.com/2x-intel-xeon-e5-2670-vs-amd-1950x-threadripper-cpu-benchmark/
The dual Xeon score less, but did well for the budget. It's a 2012 CPU VS a 2017 CPU and the Threadripper is actually scoring very high even today compared to the Ryzen 3900x on Cinebench, so the Xeon gave a fair fight:
https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-scores-updated/

The article is from 2017. I wonder if today I can get even newer Xeons that are better than the E2670 at low price (The E2670 cost 50$ back in 2017, but the price can even be high if it would justify the end result), and that they would do a good job at multi-threading operations (3d CPU rendering workstation for example)
There are just so many Xeons and I wanted to ask you if you know about one that can be good even today (Just like the E2670 was good at 2017). If a E5-2670 cost 50$ in 2017, and scored a very nice score back then, I wonder what budget rigs I can build today.
Another thing, is there a motherboard that supports more than 2 Xeons? Like 3 or 4 Xeons together? That would be awesome (4 E5-2670 for 200$ compared to a 1000$ 1950x at release date)

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
I just saw this article about comparing between dual Xeon E5-2670 machine and a Threadripper 1950x machine:
https://www.rootusers.com/2x-intel-xeon-e5-2670-vs-amd-1950x-threadripper-cpu-benchmark/
The dual Xeon score less, but did well for the budget. It's a 2012 CPU VS a 2017 CPU and the Threadripper is actually scoring very high even today compared to the Ryzen 3900x on Cinebench, so the Xeon gave a fair fight:
https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-scores-updated/

The article is from 2017. I wonder if today I can get even newer Xeons that are better than the E2670 at low price (The E2670 cost 50$ back in 2017, but the price can even be high if it would justify the end result), and that they would do a good job at multi-threading operations (3d CPU rendering workstation for example)
There are just so many Xeons and I wanted to ask you if you know about one that can be good even today (Just like the E2670 was good at 2017). If a E5-2670 cost 50$ in 2017, and scored a very nice score back then, I wonder what budget rigs I can build today.
Another thing, is there a motherboard that supports more than 2 Xeons? Like 3 or 4 Xeons together? That would be awesome (4 E5-2670 for 200$ compared to a 1000$ 1950x at release date)
I think anything workstation related is better on AMD. I think its easier than buying a server motherboard for more Xeons. Just go amd man.

Reactions: twentyfourismax
Just wondering why the interest in the Xeon's vs just going Ryzen. DDR4 right now is cheap. Or is it a best bang for the money your looking for.

If it's bang for the buck yes Xeon's are a nice nitch and parts are at give away prices if not free If your on the look out. And gaming wise depending on the Xeon you get they hold up to the newest CPU's pretty well.

If you do go Xeon get a board with UEFI or at some point you hit a wall with Graphic Cards upgrades.

And yes I do have as play around computers 2 Xeon systems Less that $100. combined one 6/12 thread one 4/8 thread.

Dec 15, 2019
Yep, it's not for gaming, it's more for a 3d CPU rendering, which needs many cores, and it is indeed to get "bang for the buck". I mean the dual E2670 from 2012 actually compete with a Threadripper 1950x (100$ for 2 Xeons vs 1000$ for the Threadripper at the time). Just thought I could get an even better result today, 2 years after this article. But apparently the newer Xeons are still expensive, and moherboards for these Xeons are extremely expensive. Unless you know of a good deal or a good combination of Xeons and motherboard that is easily available online?

The boards come up all the time on the used market. Offerup, craigslist, the smaller but newer Xeon came in a HP Z230 sff case with 32bg memory and the seller through in a Dell 27in monitor $35.00.

I seen last month a seller on ebay was selling the Desktop HP z230's bare bone, Case motherboard, Xeon CPU, power supply, and Cooler $50.00 + shipping.

Our Xeon x5670 CPU was $10.00 off ebay. A different seller the motherboard, 24gb memory and a older GTX video card $40.00 local sale. It had an I7 930 in it as well but pulled that and put in x5670, and now water cooled. Motherboard is an ASUS P6X58D_Premium

Used Dell's are a great place to look for Xeon's as old replaced tech is dirt cheap.

Cool, why you're not trying to get a dual cpu board like a Supermicro one and have 2 Xeons in it?
I don't really have a use for Dual CPU's for my needs.

I Just keeping it to the KISS effect.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

KISS............

Also main Gaming Rig is an i7 8700k so I'm good in that department, all our other setups are just more gaming rigs just fun to mess with. I just looked around the Gaming room at home and 11 computers for me and my sons to light up the night Gaming wise. But always on the lookout for new gear.

Last edited:
At some point If a dual x2 Xeon setup come EXTREMELY CHEAP than give a try. But moving to a new Ryzen will give better results if your going to be putting lots of money into it.

Think of old Xeon CPU's as bargain solutions. ..........................ONLY IF YOU GET DIRT CHEAP..................................

These Dells during every month on the used market are about 50-90 the lowest I have seen except December prices go up.

But keep it to the KISS effect or just get a modern FASTER RYZEN

https://discountelectronics.com/del...MIuOXTx9645gIVBNNkCh1RTgEXEAQYBCABEgIYdPD_BwE

Dec 15, 2019
It's just that I needed a multi-purpose machine, doing 3d stuff while also opening other programs. And, I saw a comment on one of those budget dual Xeon builds, saying that indeed you can get a newer Ryzen and it will be better for some stuff, but from his experience he prefers the Xeon because he definitely feels that it's much better for this task of doing many stuff together (I'll try to find this comment to quote it)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm seeing on ebay, used/refurbished dual socket boards with dual X5670's included for $120, US sellers, not the multitude shipped from HK or China. And then there's ddr3 to consider, finding larger kits to populate that many slots, and getting it all stable isn't exactly easy, nor in many cases, cheap.

Dec 15, 2019
Post the link I will go take a look.
It's the first link in the first post:

From a guy named "nikkin":
"There is still something good on the Intel’s dual CPU systems side – those are real workhorse beasts! I mean – yeah, TR’s crazy cores beat all the tests and every single task compared one by one, but when you’re heavy working on a several projects and open a bunch of programs like a 3x 3Ds Max projects (all rendering at once), another one for working and animating, then a video editing program on a background, Photoshop, a browser with 70+ tabs + your 3rd monitor running Netflix on a tutorial… well… then you know why DUAL XEON is the KING!!! Every other single CPU system will simply die… Believe me – it’s my every day experience! :) "

But I wonder what dual Xeon build he uses, I bet he doesn't have an old dual Xeon, probably some newer expensive Xeons

I'm seeing on ebay, used/refurbished dual socket boards with dual X5670's included for $120, US sellers, not the multitude shipped from HK or China. And then there's ddr3 to consider, finding larger kits to populate that many slots, and getting it all stable isn't exactly easy, nor in many cases, cheap.

I wish I could find those deals on the newer E5's becuase the X5670 is too old and really isn't worth it compared to new CPUs

TRENDING THREADS