[SOLVED] Old XP Machine Problems

May 6, 2020
I received a PC with a 2000-2002 model motherboard. I know nothing about this PC but its having issues.
  1. USB ports don't work past the boot screen
  2. I can't boot from a USB drive to upgrade the OS, since the USB ports shut off.
If anyone knows how I can fix this or what I'd need to replace it'd be appreciated!

Solution
UPDATE: I still cant get the USB devices working but I'm able to get into the boot menu and setup options. I also figured out that the CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 1500+, on 32 bit, and has 512MB memory. I went into the boot menu and the hard drive and USB drive are usable. When I select a boot device it reports that nothing bootable was found on the USB nor the HDD. and then it boots into windows XP with no USB devices working.
XP needs drivers for the USB to work,the previous owner might not have had any USB devices back in 2000 so they never installed a driver.
For the system to boot from a USB you will need to make the USB for MBR not for UEFI which is the default an XP mobo will not recognize UEFI as a bootable device.

Hamza Ahmed Jamil

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Change your boot device option in bios and select 1st boot as your usb. This way you can boot from usb and upgrade your os.

You can press f9 or f2 or f12 or f10 so you can access your boot menu and select usb from there..

If you are trying your front usb ports then make sure they are connected from motherboard properly.

Sometimes resetting the Bios helps pc recognize the usb ports.

1. Remove the Cmos battrey..will reset your bios
  2. from system setup (press f2 at 1st screen of pc) you can reset your bios

May 6, 2020
UPDATE: I still cant get the USB devices working but I'm able to get into the boot menu and setup options. I also figured out that the CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 1500+, on 32 bit, and has 512MB memory. I went into the boot menu and the hard drive and USB drive are usable. When I select a boot device it reports that nothing bootable was found on the USB nor the HDD. and then it boots into windows XP with no USB devices working.

May 6, 2020
Change your boot device option in bios and select 1st boot as your usb. This way you can boot from usb and upgrade your os.

You can press f9 or f2 or f12 or f10 so you can access your boot menu and select usb from there..

If you are trying your front usb ports then make sure they are connected from motherboard properly.

Sometimes resetting the Bios helps pc recognize the usb ports.

1. Remove the Cmos battrey..will reset your bios
  2. from system setup (press f2 at 1st screen of pc) you can reset your bios

I did try this but none of it worked :/

XP needs drivers for the USB to work,the previous owner might not have had any USB devices back in 2000 so they never installed a driver.
For the system to boot from a USB you will need to make the USB for MBR not for UEFI which is the default an XP mobo will not recognize UEFI as a bootable device.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS