[SOLVED] Older 1060 6gb enough for 1440p 144hz?

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
Hello,
I have an older gpu, a 1060 6gb rog strix non-oc edition. I have a 23.8" 60hz 1080p monitor atm, of which I feel my card could do way better. Other components are more up to date, last year I upgraded whole PC (but not the gpu) so I have an i7 8700k, 16gigs 3200 ram and a nice rog z390f. But the gpu is the older model, the 1060 6gb.

I want to upgrade my monitor, but I'd definetly like to go 1440p 144hz 27" right now if plausible, since I'm likely to upgrade my gpu in the following year, and I dont want to have to buy a new monitor again when I do so.(if I bought a 144hz but 1080p monitor now to run good with my 1060)
I'm mostly playing overwatch, apex, LoL, and rocket league. I sometimes do play hardware destroyer games such as fh4, witcher and SoT, but with those I'd be compeletly fine with 60fps non-max settings. I'm compeletly good with lowering my settings to med-high in competitive games to reach 100+fps.
So my question is, will I be able to make use of the 144hz with my competitive games on 1440p with this card, and will I be able to still enjoy the bigger titles on 60fps with this card?

Please recommend good monitors that are 1440p, 144hz, ips, low ms, and good quality - In the range of ~350-400$

Thanks!

( I live in hungary the tax is literally 27% andim broke already)

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,
I have an older gpu, a 1060 6gb rog strix non-oc edition. I have a 23.8" 60hz 1080p monitor atm, of which I feel my card could do way better. Other components are more up to date, last year I upgraded whole PC (but not the gpu) so I have an i7 8700k, 16gigs 3200 ram and a nice rog z390f. But the gpu is the older model, the 1060 6gb.

I want to upgrade my monitor, but I'd definetly like to go 1440p 144hz 27" right now if plausible, since I'm likely to upgrade my gpu in the following year, and I dont want to have to buy a new monitor again when I do so.(if I bought a 144hz but 1080p monitor now to run good with my 1060)
I'm mostly playing overwatch, apex, LoL, and rocket league. I sometimes do play hardware destroyer games such...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello,

I'm mostly playing overwatch, apex, LoL, and rocket league. I sometimes do play hardware destroyer games such as fh4, witcher and SoT, but with those I'd be compeletly fine with 60fps non-max settings. I'm compeletly good with lowering my settings to med-high in competitive games to reach 100+fps.
So my question is, will I be able to make use of the 144hz with my competitive games on 1440p with this card, and will I be able to still enjoy the bigger titles on 60fps with this card?

Please recommend good monitors that are 1440p, 144hz, ips, low ms, and good quality - In the range of ~350-400$

Thanks!

( I live in hungary the tax is literally 27% andim broke already)

Good morning ProPigeon,

Don't let anyone tell you differently, that 1060 6GB card is still a damn fine card! Sure it might not be a Ferrari, but it'll still get the job done. Perhaps I'm just bias as I have one & love it.

As for 1440p, yes it'll play games at those resolutions, though like you said, you'll have to dial a few settings back. All depends on what you like. Worst case, if you aren't happy with the performance, you can easily play 1080p on the 1440p monitor and it'll look just fine and then later on down the road when you are able to get a newer GPU, you'll already have a monitor that can take advantage of it's higher 2K abilities. But again yes, you can play 1440p.

As for monitors, I bought myself a new 32" 1440p 144hz MSI last month and love it. (Hense the statement that the 1060 WILL run 1440p) To better allow us to suggest a monitor for you, please link to a random monitor on your end so that it'll auto-configure which country you are in and so default to your local prices.

Reactions: propigeon
Solution

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
Good morning ProPigeon,

Don't let anyone tell you differently, that 1060 6GB card is still a damn fine card! Sure it might not be a Ferrari, but it'll still get the job done. Perhaps I'm just bias as I have one & love it.

As for 1440p, yes it'll play games at those resolutions, though like you said, you'll have to dial a few settings back. All depends on what you like. Worst case, if you aren't happy with the performance, you can easily play 1080p on the 1440p monitor and it'll look just fine and then later on down the road when you are able to get a newer GPU, you'll already have a monitor that can take advantage of it's higher 2K abilities. But again yes, you can play 1440p.

As for monitors, I bought myself a new 32" 1440p 144hz MSI last month and love it. (Hense the statement that the 1060 WILL run 1440p) To better allow us to suggest a monitor for you, please link to a random monitor on your end so that it'll auto-configure which country you are in and so default to your local prices.
Thanks for this answer.
Altho I heard that lowering res on a1440p monitor to 1080p will make it very blurry and not look right/ will create black frames on the screen.
This is a monitor that fits my likings: https://www.acershop.hu/acer-laptop...px-freesync-monitor-27-quot-umhv1eep01/11053/

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Thanks for this answer.
Altho I heard that lowering res on a1440p monitor to 1080p will make it very blurry and not look right/ will create black frames on the screen.
This is a monitor that fits my likings: https://www.acershop.hu/acer-laptop...px-freesync-monitor-27-quot-umhv1eep01/11053/

I'm just about off here at work and so will take a look at the link when I get home. Real quick tho, as for 1080p on a 1440p monitor, personally I'll have to say nope to blurriness. My vision may not be that of a hawk, but every game I have thrown at my monitor, from Skyrim to Path of Exile to Metro Exodus, to Gears of War 5, looked fantastic at 1080p. (Or as good as 1080p CAN look lol) Again, this is just me and I'm sure some here may say otherwise. There is also no border at it's 16:9 aspect ratio. I bought the MSI Optix MAG321CQR.

I'll look at your link shortly.

Reactions: propigeon

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Thanks for this answer.

I took a look at the monitor you link to above and compared it against the same monitor here in the US on Amazon. It looks like a nice overall monitor with more positive reviews than negative. Do you only want to order from the website above? If not, please link to a monitor on Amazon, if they deliver to you. If not, then another retailer. Or we can look at monitors from Acer if you prefer.

Let us know. :)

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
I took a look at the monitor you link to above and compared it against the same monitor here in the US on Amazon. It looks like a nice overall monitor with more positive reviews than negative. Do you only want to order from the website above? If not, please link to a monitor on Amazon, if they deliver to you. If not, then another retailer. Or we can look at monitors from Acer if you prefer.

Let us know. :)
You can link any monitor from any website to me, I will shearch it in Hungarian retailers's stocks. Thank you.

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
I'm just about off here at work and so will take a look at the link when I get home. Real quick tho, as for 1080p on a 1440p monitor, personally I'll have to say nope to blurriness. My vision may not be that of a hawk, but every game I have thrown at my monitor, from Skyrim to Path of Exile to Metro Exodus, to Gears of War 5, looked fantastic at 1080p. (Or as good as 1080p CAN look lol) Again, this is just me and I'm sure some here may say otherwise. There is also no border at it's 16:9 aspect ratio. I bought the MSI Optix MAG321CQR.

I'll look at your link shortly.
Thanks again:D
I play poe too(used to) so nice.
At me i'ts 22:28 rn and I have school tomorrow, I will see your further replies only tomorrow afternoon.

MarzZzipan

Commendable
Aug 1, 2019
buy the monitor
I recently bought a 32inch 1440p 144hz Samsung panel
and it's been great I have a ryzen 3 1300x (mush weaker than ur CPU) and I have an rx580 8gb (pretty much same as yours my friend has got a 1060 6gb with the same monitor and CPU and he gets similar performance to me )
your not going to be playing at the highest settings but your GPU will do fine for now. for me, my CPU bottlenecks me in most games like bf4 yet I can still reach 144hz it sometimes goes down to 100 and occasionally lower
in Wolfenstein Youngblood, I was getting 80fps constant
Now remember my CPU is always at 100% whereas my GPU is at around 60% depending on the game
I'm going to get the ryzen 5 3600 this weekend so ill report back on the improvements but with your CPU you will get much better framerates than me

personally I would say get it
im not planning to upgrade my GPU for at least 6 months maybe a bit less if I get impatient
but once I get my new CPU I think I will get much better framerates