Question Older Bios

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
I have a Gigabyte B450M DS3H which has a F3 Bios installed. i have never updated the bios but Just wondering how would i update the bios to the latest one. do i have to install every bios or just the latest released.

thanks

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Good catch NightHawkRMX.
He needs to update his chipset drivers then update to BIOS F30 then he can update to F32 then to F40 and then to the latest BIOS for his MB.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

F30 says:
Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.50.16.01 or later version before updating to this BIOS.
F40 Says:
Note: If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40.
F50 Says:
Note: Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as detailed under BIOS F40 discription

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The apparent serial process for this motherboard (per the correct info from NightHawkRMX and DMAN999) is atypical. Usually, you don't have to worry about successive versions when updating.

I don't recommend updating BIOS versions within Windows with the motherboard update app. I prefer to perform updates directly via the BIOS tool itself.

Reactions: DMAN999

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bios chips are limited in size. It used to be plenty of space for any microcode fix or update to be added, and generally the new bios would contain any and all previous fixes. So you'd just get the latest version and be done. But with current bios fixes and with some firmware updates, the bios is so big its streamlined to fix certain things. Like there maybe a fix for AGESA 1.0.1.a in F32 and that'll make it AGESA 1.0.1.b, yes the fix is in there, but that's assuming you updated the bios prior and included AGESA in the first place in F30. This'll require stepped bios updates, F30-F32-F40 etc..

Jumping from F3 directly to F50 would effectively brick the bios as it'll have all the required fixes, updates etc, and nothing to fix. You'd be going from standing to running without first learning to walk. Which requires figuring out how to move a foot first.