Older computer's compatibility with a SSD?

ptudia

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hello everyone. Recently I posted that I would like to upgrade my computer, and got a lot of help from you nice people. However; with university starting back up right now, I can't responsibly buy all the parts at once.

So, I was planning on getting parts one by one until I had enough to assemble the new main computer.

I was thinking of starting with a solid state drive, but didn't know it's compatibility with my current computer (which I would like to use it with).

My computer runs a vast majority of today's games at silky smooth framerates in ultra detail; the problem is that it's old. I built it in early 2008, I don't even recall seeing SSDs as an option when I built it.

I can't remember everything about the hard drive, but I know it was a 750GB SATA 2 Hard Drive 7200RPM
My motherboard is an Nvidia NVK84CRB version 2.0
The computer was an XPS 630.

I was thinking of purchasing this SSD: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Industrys-Warranty/dp/B007RARHSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346485636&sr=8-2&keywords=ocz+vertex+4

Does anyone know if it would be compatible with this system?

Thanks very much in advance for your help. If you need any more information from me I'd be more than happy to provide it.

tivatar

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Cheap SSD's in 2008 still had costs in the 4-digits, so that's probably why you don't remember seeing them. If you have a SATA ports, you can use an SSD. You won't get the full benefits without SATA-3 (6Gbps), but even with SATA-2 (3Gbps) you should notice a difference.

OCZ has had a rough history with SSD reliability... I would recommend going with Intel or Samsung. Prices are still dropping under $1/GB (USD) last I checked.