[SOLVED] Older Dell was on work Network, how to "free"?

Dec 13, 2021
We have a Dell Latitude E7240 that some years ago was my wife's work computer. About 3 years ago they gave her a new work computer and said they would let her know what to do with the old one. It's been laying around and so she recently asked the IT department what she should do with it The guy told her to keep it, they didn't want it back. We thought we might use it as an extra laptop as needed but, it's still on the work network and the monitoring (if any) and restrictions (program downloads and such) associated with that.

I am not particularly knowledgeable on Networks/NetworkAdministrators and how it impacts the use of this machine. Other than the (or a) operating system, we don't need any of the data or programs on the machine. We would like to just utilize it as an extra computer, no longer associated with the network. Sort of a reset I guess. She works for a large State Hospital system if that helps. Also, it has not been updated to Windows10 and is still running on Windows7.

Is there a way to clear the SSD and start over. If so, how do I get windows reinstalled on it? Or, Would I need to replace the SSD? It has a Liteonit LMT-256 SCSI Drive.

A bit of a neophyte here and any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Is there a way to clear the SSD and start over.

Full wipe and reinstall.

Assuming Windows 10, this:

USAFRet

Titan
But since it seems to be Win 7, you may need to purchase a valid WIn 10 license for it.

And I am VERY surprised the medical facility let it out of their hands without them doing a full wipe on it.
Who knows what personal medical info is in there.

Dec 13, 2021
That's a fair point USAFret but they know and she knows. She is in an administrative roll and there are no medical records associated with it nor anybody's medical information. Can this windows 7 machine be updated to windows 10 and then follow the above instructions on the above clean windows 10 install?

USAFRet

Titan
That's a fair point USAFret but they know and she knows. She is in an administrative roll and there are no medical records associated with it nor anybody's medical information. Can this windows 7 machine be updated to windows 10 and then follow the above instructions on the above clean windows 10 install?
Free upgrade to Win 10 depends on what that original Win 7 license is.

For instance, Win 7 Enterprise license or other Volume Licensing thing is not applicable for a free upgrade.

No harm in trying, though.

At worst, you have a $100 laptop.
Free hardware, and a $100 Win 10 license.