Question Older game, Older PC, "out of date" Driver Issue

Aug 9, 2019
So, I have a game that I have gotten back into and dragged out my old laptop (that used to run the game fine)
Back when the game was "Current" it would scan your graphics driver and based on the date of the driver it would throttle your experience. The game hasn't had an update in years, but thinks that due to me "out of date" graphics driver (actual last date that the driver was updated was after the game stopped being updated) I might have problems playing the game.

Is there anyway to update the date on the driver so that this game stops thinking that I am not keeping up with my graphics card?

For a correlation, it would be like if years from now, an older game that had a 650GTX as it's "recommended" graphics card for "ultra mode graphics", and your 950GTX that Nvidia is no longer supporting is being read by the game as "not good enough anymore"

Aug 9, 2019
Appologies for the late reply, but, yes it is an online game, City of Heroes.

Here are the City of Heroes Going Rogue System Requirements (Minimum)
  • CPU: Intel® Pentium® III 1 GHz or AMD Athlon 1 GHz
  • CPU SPEED: 1 GHz
  • RAM: 512 MB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce™ 2 Series, ATI® Radeon® 8500 Series or Intel i865G Series Video Card
  • TOTAL VIDEO RAM: 64 MB
  • DIRECTX VERSION: DirectX® 9.0c
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 5 GB available hard disk space
City of Heroes Going Rogue Recommended Requirements
  • CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 2000+
  • CPU SPEED: 2.0 GHz
  • RAM: 2 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX 5600 Series (or higher) or ATI® Radeon® 9600 (or higher)
  • TOTAL VIDEO RAM: 128 MB
  • HARDWARE T&L: Yes
  • PIXEL SHADER: 2.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 2.0
  • DIRECTX VERSION: DirectX® 9.0c
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 5 GB available hard disk space
The cards in question:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-9600.c469 ATI Radeon 9600

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/mobility-radeon-hd-2600.c1619 Laptop's Video Card

for those who don't know, it's a MMO that was "shutdown" 7 years ago, and now there are private servers that people can connect to.

Last edited: