[SOLVED] Older games crash and freeze

realIK17

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
Hi y'all,

I think that there might be something wrong with my graphics card's driver. I have a GTX 980M gaming laptop. Lately, I found that older games are highly unstable on my laptop.

The Witcher 3 occasionally can run smoothly for hours but most of the time it crashes every 5-15 min. One time I tried to swim in the game, and the game crashed. Then, I went back to the exact spot and tried to swim again, and the game hard crashed again. I repeated this multiple times, and the game always crashed. I had to fast travel to another spot and sail from there.

I recently downloaded Shogun 2 Total War. I can load the game fine but it always freezes after 1-2 min. Sometimes it would turn my screen into displaying blank yellow and make my laptop produce this screeching sound in the background. I cannot do anything at that time and have to force turn off my laptop.

The reason why I am not going to the forums for these games is that both games crash in the exact same way. It would be fine for a few minutes and then just freeze and quit to desktop or occasionally brick my computer completely.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics driver several times, and the problem persists. I also tried to disable GeForce Experience overlay, but that didn't change anything.

My computer runs the recently published games very well, such as Hitman 3, Crusader Kings 3, and Yakuza 3 Remastered. I think that the new driver for 980M might make it incompatible with games that are slightly older. If my graphics card is broken, then I should not be able to play any game.

Do you know a way to fix this issue? Thanks.

Best regards,
Steve

Solution
Hi i think i can help you.

First get rid of the g force experience ( i have a gtx 1080 ) , the experience program is more trouble than it is worth , next go to the nvidea site and re-download the latest driver for your card , during installation choose custom install and untick the experience tab or you will be given it again.

If the driver does not cause you a problem save a copy of it somewhere and re-use it if your next driver update causes you a problem.

With regards to you having a problem with older games i sometimes have the same problem , this is because newer computers are " too good " for older games , example , in a part of myst you cant jump from a podium to a cliff , you land on the cliff and fall through it and get...

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing where you sourced the installers for the games listed above? Also, you will need to mention the make and model of your laptop. An SKU to the laptop would help us two fold. Can you idle on the OS GUI? The issue crops up only when gaming? Did you sue DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to reinstalling them with older or newer versions?>

realIK17

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
Mind sharing where you sourced the installers for the games listed above? Also, you will need to mention the make and model of your laptop. An SKU to the laptop would help us two fold. Can you idle on the OS GUI? The issue crops up only when gaming? Did you sue DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to reinstalling them with older or newer versions?>
I downloaded all these games from Steam. My laptop is Clevo P870DM. Yes, my computer otherwise runs very well. The issue only happens when I start to play older games. I used DDU to reinstall the latest driver just today.

Hi i think i can help you.

First get rid of the g force experience ( i have a gtx 1080 ) , the experience program is more trouble than it is worth , next go to the nvidea site and re-download the latest driver for your card , during installation choose custom install and untick the experience tab or you will be given it again.

If the driver does not cause you a problem save a copy of it somewhere and re-use it if your next driver update causes you a problem.

With regards to you having a problem with older games i sometimes have the same problem , this is because newer computers are " too good " for older games , example , in a part of myst you cant jump from a podium to a cliff , you land on the cliff and fall through it and get stuck in a green screen loop.

This is what i do ..... google when the game was made and find out what operating system it was made for.
Next go to your hard drive or steam folder and search for that games launcher and right click to see compatability tab , put the game on the operating system that it was made for.

footnote ... if the game was made for vista choose the option with no service pack , ..... their are no hard rules on what to do with old games , sometimes they suprisingly work without a problem and then others need the method i have described.

Hope my information works .... please keep me updated

Solution

TRENDING THREADS