Older HP Computer Issue

AMarie023

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
I have an older HP desktop from 2007. It wasn't turned on for several months since we had no use for it, really. It did have a problem trying to power up the DVD drive, since it'd show lights but will not pop out.

So I thought I'd switch the cable with the hard drive and see if it was the device or the cables. I popped in 2GB of memory which was working, then started up the computer.

As you can imagine, the computer will turn on by the LED but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. But, the computer is not sending any image to the monitor. I've tested the monitor with another computer and so the monitor is not the problem.

At some point, the computer finally sent image to the monitor, and it had posted. However, it failed to load Windows since it didn't detect the hard drive. But it took longer than it should have to try to post.

I was suggested to reseat the memory. Did it. I also reseated the CMOS battery, but no result.

I'm stuck between the motherboard, the CPU, or the power supply.

Is there any way to help?

Solution
Dead CMOS battery - be worth a couple of dollars to replace the battery and try again.

Also use F2, F10, or the other applicable keys to get into BIOS during boot time.

When you reseated the CMOS battery all went back to defaults. May need reconfiguration.

AMarie023

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
I also pulled out the RAM and the computer gave me an beep. So it's not the power supply, at least.

I went to see the CPU, and it's like covered in dust (literally). So I believe that the CPU is a culprit.

I think it's dead, because the system refuses to post anymore. And this computer is from 2007, so I guess it's time to bury it. lol

Ralston18

Titan
Dead CMOS battery - be worth a couple of dollars to replace the battery and try again.

Also use F2, F10, or the other applicable keys to get into BIOS during boot time.

When you reseated the CMOS battery all went back to defaults. May need reconfiguration.

Solution