Older Inspiron 7500 now under XP needs, Synaptic Touchpad ..

Original Dell 7500 Inspiron computer had W98SE. I upgraded to XP a while
back. I use the touchpad exclusively. Now my mouse System devices show
just as a PS2 compatible device. No mention of Synaptics. Thus when I want
to reconfigure touchpad movements, I no longer have the Synaptics menu and
options.
I tried to reload the touchpad using my 7500 System Software CD, but since I
now have XP, it won't accept the reloading.
I checked Dell Support for Input Devices downloads for my service tag and
came up empty. Dell Forum moderator says 'nothing checked out (approved) by
Dell'
Is there a Synaptics touchpad driver that I can safely download for the 7500
that will run under XP? I could create a Restore Point before trying it, to
hopefully protect myself.
Any ideas?

--
Tom M
(To reply, remove *deletenospam* from my address)

Rob

http://www.synaptics.com/support/index.cfm

--
"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression.
The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed

"Tom M" <TM@nospam.escapees.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Original Dell 7500 Inspiron computer had W98SE. I upgraded to XP a while
> back. I use the touchpad exclusively. Now my mouse System devices show
> just as a PS2 compatible device. No mention of Synaptics. Thus when I
> want
> to reconfigure touchpad movements, I no longer have the Synaptics menu and
> options.
> I tried to reload the touchpad using my 7500 System Software CD, but since
> now have XP, it won't accept the reloading.
> I checked Dell Support for Input Devices downloads for my service tag and
> came up empty. Dell Forum moderator says 'nothing checked out (approved)
> by
> Dell'
> Is there a Synaptics touchpad driver that I can safely download for the
> 7500
> that will run under XP? I could create a Restore Point before trying it,
> hopefully protect myself.
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Tom M
> (To reply, remove *deletenospam* from my address)

Duhhhh, Tom.
Thanks Rob. Got a 5.14 MB Zip file. Do you think the Restore idea will
protect me if this driver set turns out to crash?

--
"Rob" <unununium33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.synaptics.com/support/index.cfm
>
> --
> "A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression.
> The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed
> again."
>

> "Tom M" <TM@nospam.escapees.com.nospam> wrote in message
> > Original Dell 7500 Inspiron computer had W98SE. I upgraded to XP a
while
> > back. I use the touchpad exclusively. Now my mouse System devices show
> > just as a PS2 compatible device. No mention of Synaptics. Thus when I
> > want
> > to reconfigure touchpad movements, I no longer have the Synaptics menu
and
> > options.
> > I tried to reload the touchpad using my 7500 System Software CD, but
since
> > now have XP, it won't accept the reloading.
> > I checked Dell Support for Input Devices downloads for my service tag
and
> > came up empty. Dell Forum moderator says 'nothing checked out
(approved)
> > by
> > Dell'
> > Is there a Synaptics touchpad driver that I can safely download for the
> > 7500
> > that will run under XP? I could create a Restore Point before trying
it,
> > hopefully protect myself.
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > --
> > Tom M
> > (To reply, remove *deletenospam* from my address)

Rob

Yes, always a good idea to create a restore point just before installing
untested drivers. XP will most likely do this automatically before the
install routine. And of course if things go pear shaped then you can use the
restore point to go back.

Rob

--

> Duhhhh, Tom.
> Thanks Rob. Got a 5.14 MB Zip file. Do you think the Restore idea will
> protect me if this driver set turns out to crash?
>
> --
> Tom M
> (To reply, remove *deletenospam* from my address)
> "Rob" <unununium33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.synaptics.com/support/index.cfm
>>
>> --
>> "A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression.
>> The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed
>> again."
>>

>> "Tom M" <TM@nospam.escapees.com.nospam> wrote in message
>> > Original Dell 7500 Inspiron computer had W98SE. I upgraded to XP a
> while
>> > back. I use the touchpad exclusively. Now my mouse System devices
>> > show
>> > just as a PS2 compatible device. No mention of Synaptics. Thus when I
>> > want
>> > to reconfigure touchpad movements, I no longer have the Synaptics menu
> and
>> > options.
>> > I tried to reload the touchpad using my 7500 System Software CD, but
> since
>> > now have XP, it won't accept the reloading.
>> > I checked Dell Support for Input Devices downloads for my service tag
> and
>> > came up empty. Dell Forum moderator says 'nothing checked out
> (approved)
>> > by
>> > Dell'
>> > Is there a Synaptics touchpad driver that I can safely download for the
>> > 7500
>> > that will run under XP? I could create a Restore Point before trying
> it,
>> > hopefully protect myself.
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Tom M
>> > (To reply, remove *deletenospam* from my address)

Happy Hour (or 2) time, then dinner, then driver install. Let you know later
how it works out.
Thanks

--
> Yes, always a good idea to create a restore point just before installing
> untested drivers. XP will most likely do this automatically before the
> install routine. And of course if things go pear shaped then you can use
the
> restore point to go back.
>
> Rob
>
> --
> "A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression.
> The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed
> again."
>

> "Tom M" <TM@nospam.escapees.com.nospam> wrote in message
> > Duhhhh, Tom.
> > Thanks Rob. Got a 5.14 MB Zip file. Do you think the Restore idea
will
> > protect me if this driver set turns out to crash?
> >
> > --
> > Tom M
> > (To reply, remove *deletenospam* from my address)
> > "Rob" <unununium33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> http://www.synaptics.com/support/index.cfm
> >>
> >> --
> >> "A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure
depression.
> >> The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed
> >> again."
> >>

> >> "Tom M" <TM@nospam.escapees.com.nospam> wrote in message
> > while
> > and