[SOLVED] Older Issue: Dell 3620 7700K (Faulty Cougar Point Chipset)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hi Gang :sneaky:

Cut to the quick: Only found out about this issue AFTER buying this machine. Purchased a used 'working' (stripped down) Dell Precision 3620 i7-7700K on ebay ($200) plus shipping with a manufacture date of 2017, (nice shape). Since the volume seller is obviously not the original owner, I seriously doubt he knew about this issue dating back to 2011.

The Issue & Problem: Motherboards with Cougar Point Chipsets delivered on or after 9 January needed to be exchanged. The problem was with ports 2 through 5 as they might work unreliably or, in time not work at all. Hard discs and DVD burners connected through these ports might begin to react unpredictably? The SATA-6G ports (6 GBit/s) should not be affected by this defect according to Intel.

I was cautioned (after the fact) about this issue by one individual in particular on the Dell Forum while others suspect the issue (was resolved long ago)? I just recieved the machine (still unboxed) with a 30 day return. Obviously it was a LEASED machine just like soooo many others on ebay where (most times), you can get a GOOD deal ... One possibility: If it was obviously successfully used by a company thru the years, one would suspect all is well? Perhaps other folks here have different opinions; (something I possibly missed)? On the other hand, maybe I should just return the machine and not invest any $$ in rebuilding it?

Thank You One In All! (y)
Mike

Last edited:
Solution
DSzymborski & kanewolf !!

I think we're finally onto something tangible guys. Unfortunately the folks on the Dell Forum (although very helpful), just couldn't be sure. And thank goodness for this news, because I'd rather not send the darn thing back. I've already sent 2 other machines back because they were mis-represented.

I searched for a long time looking to upgrade my Optiplex 790 for something years ahead and at a good price. I'm ready to start rebuiding it!

But let's just make sure: Absolutely this is a
Dell Precision 3620 i7 7700K. Manufacture Details:
January 2017 * First availability for...

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hello USAFRet (Nice to see you)

"What $$ do you need to invest?"

Not much ... Just the new WD HHD System Drive I already have that needs an OS, and temporarily use onboard sound and graphics; (before I get involved with installing new sound, video and PCIe esata cards).

My main concern are with SATA ports 2 through 5 which conceivably could function/power the internal Optical Drives ... But according to Dell, these issues may not readily show themsleves? (I'm also waiting to hear back from the seller).

Just thought I'd throw this out here and get a 'Tom's HDWR Opinion' or perhaps from someone who's already familiar with this particular issue? There seems to be some confusion with the folks on the Dell Forum ... o_O (no definite answers)?

Thank You
Mike

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
The 'Main Sata Boot Port' which is the BLUE colored port or number '0' Sata Port is suppposedly 'safe' (not affected) if in fact there could be a problem (at all) with regard to SATA ports 2 through 5. However I still need to Format the system drive (installing the OS) using the Optical Drive and Boot from the Windows 10 Pro Disc. Know what I mean? But yes I agree, (if I don't hear back from the seller with any new information), perhaps I'm try to install the OS and take it from there ...

So then you personally haven't heard about this issue before?

Thank You
And thank you for your Service!
Mike

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021

I think we're finally onto something tangible guys. Unfortunately the folks on the Dell Forum (although very helpful), just couldn't be sure. And thank goodness for this news, because I'd rather not send the darn thing back. I've already sent 2 other machines back because they were mis-represented.

I searched for a long time looking to upgrade my Optiplex 790 for something years ahead and at a good price. I'm ready to start rebuiding it!

January 2017 * First availability for purchase, it may not correspond to the actual market launch date.

3620 View One
3620 View Two
3620 View Three

And here's the Dell 7th Generation Spec & Launch List:
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors
Scroll half way down and check out the discontinue date

Thank You Guys!
Mike

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

January 2017 * First availability for purchase, it may not correspond to the actual market launch date.

3620 View One
3620 View Two
3620 View Three

And here's the Dell 7th Generation Spec & Launch List:
7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors

Thank You Guys!
Mike
Pretty easy -- based on this page -- https://www.dell.com/support/manual...90134e-599f-4abc-b76b-4bbf7c540321&lang=en-us
The chipset is a C236 -- That chipset was codenamed Skylake -- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/90594/intel-c236-chipset/specifications.html
NOT in any way related to Cougar Point.

Reactions: Coast Guard
Solution

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Status
Not open for further replies.