Older laptops with firewire 400 ieee394

da_btrain

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Hi all - this is an odd one.

I've got a bunch on minidv tapes that I need to convert to preserve them. They need to be played via the camcorder (or deck) and connected via firewire 400. The tower that I had build for editing had a firewire port in it but that was quite some time ago.

I'm on the lookout for an older laptop that has ieee394 connectivity. The only one I can find is the HP elitebook 8450p (and I only know that because I used to own it)

Does anyone recall any other models that shipped with this connectivity?

JWNoctis

Upstanding
Jun 9, 2021
Dell XPS M1530, never used it even once in its five-year lifespan before what's presumably its graphic card, with known manufacturing defect and already occasionally throwing artifacts on screen for about two years, died.

I think plenty of models had them in those days, just like they had things like ExpressCard slots. There are also IEEE1394-USB adapters available, though I've never tried any myself.

da_btrain

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Dell XPS M1530, never used it even once in its five-year lifespan before what's presumably its graphic card, with known manufacturing defect and already occasionally throwing artifacts on screen for about two years, died.

I think plenty of models had them in those days, just like they had things like ExpressCard slots. There are also IEEE1394-USB adapters available, though I've never tried any myself.
Great thanks.

Yeah I looked into the firewire-USB adaptors but apparently they don't control the camera and won't send video via the cable...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS