Question Older Netgear Router bottle neck?

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Hey everyone, just wanted to reach out as I am running into an odd issue with my Internet speeds/reliability. Long story short wireless devices across the internet seem to have intermittent issues while my PC which is connected via Ethernet is relatively slow compared to directly connecting to the modem. Speed connected to the modem are about 900Mbs while running though my router it’s more like 200Mbs. Everything on the router is indicating that I am getting a Gigabit connection. I plan on swapping out the Ethernet Cable running from the modem to the router, but is there anything else I can look for? Do you think it might be possible there are to many devices on the network and the router just can’t keep up? Any and all input would be great!

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"Do you think it might be possible there are to many devices on the network ...."

More information needed:

Without giving away any personally identifying information add some details about your network.

ISP, modem, router, switches, network devices (printers, NAS), how many wired and wireless devices, etc..

Make and model information?

Who has full admin rights to the network route? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may prove helpful.

Connectivity: power line adapters, patch panel/Ethernet wall jacks?

Environment: home, apartment building, dorm, business?

It all depends how old the router really is and much more important if you are using pretty much any fancy feature.

To get very high speed manufactures have moved the NAT function off the CPU into a hardware assisted feature. Lately even very inexpensive routers have this feature. This is not something that is well documented many routers do not even mention the feature even if they have it.

This allows the device to pass close to 1gbit wan/lan. Problem is to use many feature even fairly simple traffic monitor on some router but anything that filters traffic will require the CPU see the traffic. As soon as the traffic must pass the CPU the NAT function is done by the CPU. This will cap ever very fast router to 200-300mbps.

So I would a factory reset and then only configure you admin password an set the wifi up. Other than that leave everything on default.

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Regarding:

"Do you think it might be possible there are to many devices on the network ...."

More information needed:

Without giving away any personally identifying information add some details about your network.

ISP, modem, router, switches, network devices (printers, NAS), how many wired and wireless devices, etc..

Make and model information?

Who has full admin rights to the network route? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may prove helpful.

Do you think it might be possible there are to many devices on the network ...."

More information needed: 4 smart tvs, 4 PCs (one is hardwired), 4 smart phones, 3 smart speakers various game consoles, printer

pretty generic, I don’t think I’ve even opened any ports etc. Only changed the SSID and password

cox communications, router is R6400v2. Modem is a netgear (model unknown at the moment)

I have access, no logs currently

Na

Home

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
It all depends how old the router really is and much more important if you are using pretty much any fancy feature.

To get very high speed manufactures have moved the NAT function off the CPU into a hardware assisted feature. Lately even very inexpensive routers have this feature. This is not something that is well documented many routers do not even mention the feature even if they have it.

This allows the device to pass close to 1gbit wan/lan. Problem is to use many feature even fairly simple traffic monitor on some router but anything that filters traffic will require the CPU see the traffic. As soon as the traffic must pass the CPU the NAT function is done by the CPU. This will cap ever very fast router to 200-300mbps.

So I would a factory reset and then only configure you admin password an set the wifi up. Other than that leave everything on default.

I will try and get into the router later on today and see if I can find any info on this!

kanewolf

Titan
I will try and get into the router later on today and see if I can find any info on this!
I second the recommendation that you should start with a factory reset of the router and setup a minimum configuration -- admin password, SSIDs, WIFI passwords.
It could be something as simple as traffic logging that is enabled that is limiting performance.

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Hey everyone! Wanted to reach out with an update. There has been quite a few number of issues here but between resetting my router and having Cox come out (apparently the signal coming into the home was to high?) it seems mostly worked out. Still might consider a new router int the coming months tho. Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that can produce a strong signal? The tvs in the front of the house are having issues with signal drops. Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey everyone! Wanted to reach out with an update. There has been quite a few number of issues here but between resetting my router and having Cox come out (apparently the signal coming into the home was to high?) it seems mostly worked out. Still might consider a new router int the coming months tho. Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that can produce a strong signal? The tvs in the front of the house are having issues with signal drops. Thanks!
WIFI is regulated by the govt. Most routers are equivalent. The best answer is to use some kind of wired connection and a second WIFI source.

My R7000 couldn't even do Gigabit speed unless I enabled CTF, which bypasses many of the features of the router. I really doubt an R6400 could be any faster.

Bottom line, you need a new router with a beefier CPU or better hardware NAT to handle gigabit speed internet. Don't cheap out either.