[SOLVED] Older PC reboots under certain loads.

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Old i7 4790k and 980Ti I built years ago. I've been lazy and assumed the CPU is overheating and needs a thermal paste change, but after installing SpeedFan, the highest core temperature reading I saw before the system rebooted was 62C. I don't think this is high enough to trigger a thermal protection reboot is it?

This only happens when I use a GUI frontend for ffmpeg/avisynth to convert video files. CPU usage can spike to 100%, and sometimes (more frequently lately) the system reboots. Event Viewer just says the system restarted unexpectedly.
Other than this I haven't noticed anything, even when running a game and recording or streaming via obs/discord.

If the core temp. isn't getting really hot what else should I be looking at? Failing power supply? It's got a EVGA 750W 80+ Gold PSU. I'd like to figure it out so I don't unexpectedly have a dead desktop later on with nothing to use.

rHaB65A.jpg

Solution
Thanks to the wonderful support team at EVGA I was able to troubleshoot and determine that the #1 RAM slot on the motherboard is failing. I'll switch to slots 3 and 4 for now and see how much more I can get out of this rig built in 2015.

I took out the GPU and the slot 2 stick of RAM and didn't immediately get a restart under load, but I didn't test it long enough apparently. I assumed the RAM stick itself had gone bad, and by chance had some new unopened RAM to replace it with. After putting the 2 new sticks in, it restarted again under load, so I switched to slots 3 and 4 and haven't been able to get it to happen again.
Old i7 4790k and 980Ti I built years ago. I've been lazy and assumed the CPU is overheating and needs a thermal paste change, but after installing SpeedFan, the highest core temperature reading I saw before the system rebooted was 62C. I don't think this is high enough to trigger a thermal protection reboot is it?

This only happens when I use a GUI frontend for ffmpeg/avisynth to convert video files. CPU usage can spike to 100%, and sometimes (more frequently lately) the system reboots. Event Viewer just says the system restarted unexpectedly.
Other than this I haven't noticed anything, even when running a game and recording or streaming via obs/discord.

If the core temp. isn't getting really hot what else should I be looking at? Failing power supply? It's got a EVGA 750W 80+ Gold PSU. I'd like to figure it out so I don't unexpectedly have a dead desktop later on with nothing to use.

rHaB65A.jpg
Use another program like HWinfo or CpuId HW monitor to check for temperatures, SpeedFan is slow to react (it's obsolete) and a second two of overheat is enough to shut CPU down.

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Use another program like HWinfo or CpuId HW monitor to check for temperatures, SpeedFan is slow to react (it's obsolete) and a second two of overheat is enough to shut CPU down.
With HW Monitor I saw 65C for a split second, mostly stayed around 62/63, also restarted again. It seems to be restarting every time I try now.

Edit: I never felt the need to overlock this system, but I recall looking into undervolting. I checked the BIOS just now and everything is still set at default values.

Last edited:

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Well I thought it was the PSU fan, but I forgot this one has an Eco mode switch, which lets the fan shut off if the PSU temps are low. Fan works fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on other things I can test?

Last edited:

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Thanks to the wonderful support team at EVGA I was able to troubleshoot and determine that the #1 RAM slot on the motherboard is failing. I'll switch to slots 3 and 4 for now and see how much more I can get out of this rig built in 2015.

I took out the GPU and the slot 2 stick of RAM and didn't immediately get a restart under load, but I didn't test it long enough apparently. I assumed the RAM stick itself had gone bad, and by chance had some new unopened RAM to replace it with. After putting the 2 new sticks in, it restarted again under load, so I switched to slots 3 and 4 and haven't been able to get it to happen again.

Solution