[SOLVED] Older PSU with new rig

Nightspirit

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Hello everybody, i would like to ask some help with an older PSU.
So here is the story, I have a friend who asked me to help puttig together a new computer, because its slow nowadays, but there are some parts what he wants to keep from the old one, saving some money. Here is the old:
PSU:COOLERMASTER Thermal Master 500W TM500-PSAPI3-IT,
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-US2H,
PROC: AMD Phenom x2 555 3.2Ghz
MEM: smg 4 GB DDR3

He is not really into gaming, so no extra vga necessary right now, maybe later, but the integrated intel 630 should be fine for older games. Normally he is watching movies with 5.1 sound, and he has a camera program to check his shop regularly. Here is what i planned so far. Everything goes into the old case, because thats a normal tower with lots of space and he plans around 3 hdds extra.

Intel Core i5-9600K
Gigabyte B365M AORUS ELITE,
Kingston 480GB SA400S37/480G SSD,
Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz HyperX FURY

And here comes my question: could we keep the older PSU for these components or he needs a new one? Actually i already mentioned a Corsair 450W (CX450 CP-9020120-EU). But if its not necessary he would keep the old one, its a few years old but dusty.
Another question, with these new motherboard and SATA3, could we able to re-use the actual SATA2 HDD and DVD-ROM? i think the dvd has the older "big white" power connector from the psu, so i have no idea if that works or not.

Well, thank you if some of you have some time. Peace!

Solution
Change that PSU... it's a low quality unit.

The CX450 will be enough if you're not planning to add a GPU in the future. If you do, you should get the CX550 model for the extra headroom.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $149.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard | MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $74.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $67.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $59.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $352.96
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-30 08:18 EDT-0400 |

This has to be cheaper and more powerful graphically.

Nightspirit

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Hello and thanks for all the answers, its my bad but i forgot to mention that his camera programme (CMS3 it is called) only compatible with intel cpu-s somehow. I think a ryzen would be much stronger for the same price as the intel...but what can we do.
And for the mobo, i would like to have a m.2 slot for an SSD stick, so he keeps all the SATA for future hdds. Also he watches movies with a 5.1 speaker system, on a TV with HDMI and I think a lot of b360 mobos doesnt have m.2 slot or only 3 jack on the back for sound, but for 5.1 we need the 6 right? Thats how it is now in the actual computer.
So thats why i think this would be good. maybe is there any cheaper but still good mobo what should i check and has 6 jack and m.2 too? Please let me know.
He would like a fast processor, so if we go with the 9400 2.9GHZ will be not much difference compared to the 9600K 3.7 GHZ? seems much difference to me. (as a stupid)
So thank you again, and stay healthy you all!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The 9100 can turbo up to 4.1 as well and yes the 9600K has even a higher turbo. Would recommend to get a "Z" motherboard with the 9600K , maybe not now,but in the future you might think about overclocking it and get a longer lifespan out of it.