[SOLVED] Older rebuild system stability

May 29, 2020
I did a rebuild of a 2012 HP Z800 workstation.

It came with:
  • 1000 W PSU
  • Two Xeon E5640 2.66 Ghz CPUs
  • 48 Gigs DDR3 1066 Mhz RAM
  • Network card(I think)

I put in:
  • 1 T WD Blue HDD
  • Nvidia 1030 GPU

OS- Windows 10 Home

It's a basic build to get the system up.

Issues:

Software sometimes isn't stable on the system. Several Apps have created problems that make Windows 10 slow to a crawl or even stop functioning.
Also I can't let the system go into sleep mode because when you wake it, it crashes, shuts itself down and can take a long time to get it up and running again. When powered back up it also runs at a crawl I only can seem to fix with multiple shut downs and reboots.
Also I have 8 cores in 2 sockets but when I look in Task Manager Performance it just shows 1 socket and 2 cores being accessed. And CPU use is often at 100%. I find stopping Windows Update helps a bit with that but I expected much lower CPU drain with this many cores.

I've checked on the HP site and they no longer support a system this old, so the drivers there end at Windows 8.

Is there any patches I can use to make my system more stable with Windows 10.
I have both CPUs turned on in msconfig, is there a way to make sure both sockets and all 8 cores are being utilized as well.

Kind of a complex question I know, thanks for any ideas.

May 29, 2020
I'd suggest windows 10 pro, or windows server on va dual CPU build. wi 10 home won't see the other cpu

That did it. I had to do a new OS install because the key I bought wasn't good for upgrading but with Windows 10 Pro both sockets are recognized and all 8 cores. Hyperthreading is also enabled. CPU use is spiking at around 30% with the light tasks that were tying the system up with Windows 10 Home.

I'll have to see if some of the other software issues are resolved but I already have a big smile from the improvement.

Thank you very much.

May 29, 2020
I also had some resolution and blurry text and images issues with Windows 10 Home that are now resolved as well. Not only are both CPUs and all 8 cores being used, my text and images are all crystal clear.

This was an excellent fix.

TRENDING THREADS