Question Older system needs new video card for 4K

exspfx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
I have an old Biostar TA990Fxe motherboard with a AMD Bulldozer 8350 CPU and 32 gigs ram! I am not a big gamer but I do need better 4k video support and decoding. I am considering a GeForce GTX 1660 supervideo card for that purpose and if it improves gaming all the better!
Would this accomplish what I need to do do you think even though it is an ancient system it serves my basic needs?

Thanks in advance!

exspfx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
I think your specs are abit to weak for 4k support and since its very old system and think 1660 super is not really strong card for 4k
Thank you for the info! I think I am a little limited by the PCIE 2.0 slot. What card would you recommend there? I really don't want to have to build a new system right now.

Thanks for your help!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose. 1660s would give you 4k display and maybe play some titles reasonably better compared to what you have now. What graphics card do you have and what power supply / age?

Your motherboard supports uefi and checked for bios updates which latest is year 2014. Not sure the extent of improved compatibility for newer stuff but an option if you run into trouble installing a newer generation card. I suppose when Win10 (assuming you're running Win10) support ends in 2025 you'd be looking at overhauling to be Win11 (or Win12 by then lol) compatible. 1660s would probably tide you over till then. Anything more beefy could probably work in 4k playability since cpu shouldn't be stressed as much but then again you might play higher taxing games because you can and those sort of games, modern titles, will suffer from ageing instruction sets of the cpu.

Looking your motherboard on userbench seems the most recent card reported on it was gtx970. So couldn't assure compatibility with 1660s though but probably a good chance it'll work since it's a custom motherboard and not some oem board with limited bios support like Hp from that long ago.

exspfx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
I knew you would want to know what video card I had and without going home to look (I am caring for my 89 year old father at present and won't be home until Monday) I believe it is an XForce 4770 or somewhere in the 4000 range! I will be able to answer that question then or until I can find my Belarc advisor file on my tablet or phone. It is pretty ancient and I can't remember if it was ddr 4 or 5 card. I know it will play some games at 1080p and will show some 4k movies I ripped to my PC but it has trouble with some of the larger 4k movies and I will get some graphic anomalies and some freezing! I can rip a blu-ray movie at full quality with sound and subtitles but can't do 4K movies.

exspfx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
It does have uefi bios and it has 2 PCIE 2.0 slots so it supports dual video cards and the video card has 2 HDMI outputs and a dvi output however when my Dad got dementia I just threw my life aside in order to care for him but I do get home for a few hours about 3 days a week! As soon as I do I will respond with exactly which video card I have. I believe I built that system 10 to 12 years ago and I do plan on building a new system in the next few years!

Thank you for your response!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Take your time man and look after your father. Sorry if me asking came across as urgent, it's not. No rush dude. Knowing which graphics card you have would've given a degree of performance to expect comparing to it. Looks like there will be. Even if your cpu can't utilise most of a new card, in this case 1660s, it'll still be a considerable upgrade.

exspfx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
I didn't mean to come across as wanting an urgent answer and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I used to run an internet service provider and helped a friend start another one until the dot com crash and his investors pulling out! I also did 35 years as a Special Effects Coordinator in the film business but I have not kept up on the latest video card technology since I got out of the internet service business and stopped building and repairing computers! I will build a new computer in a few years as I have built every computer I have had since Windows 95 came out! Before that I was a Commodore guy!

Reactions: boju