older titles won't launch on windows 10 help

snowxsakura

Prominent
Jun 10, 2018
Hi, I just did a fresh install of windows 10 and 2 of my games aren't working. Playboy the Mansion Private Party Expansion(base game works) and Lula 3D

I'm running windows 10 Home
Ryzen 7 2700X
XFX RX 580 8G
16 Gigs of RAM

When I try launching the titles I either get an error that says "Access Denied Please login with administrator privileges and try again" and trying administrator just shows the game in the task manager for a split second then it disappears and never launches. Running in windows 7 and windows xp SP3 compatibility hasn't worked either.

Lula 3D system requirements:
P3/Athlon 1.5Ghz(2Ghz Recommended)
2.5 Gb free HDD space
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
3D Directx9 compatible 64MB(128MB Recommended)
Minimum Directx version 9.0c
256mb of RAM(512 Recommended)

Playboy The Mansion system requirements:
Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
Processor Pentium III 800 MHz
256MB RAM
Directx 9.0 Compliant 32 MB video card
Directx 9.0
HDD 1.5GB

Hi

Is the windows 10 64 bit or 32 bit
I presume now 64 bit or it would not be worth having 16 gb of ram

What was the previous windows version under which your programs last worked?

Have you considered a virtual pc running xp to play these games

Regards
Mike Barnes

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Like many titles from their era, they likely aren't compatible with Windows 10 and/or haven't been updated to. Head over to their publisher's website and see if theres a Windows 10 patch. If not you'll need to set up a virtual machine with Windows XP to try and run them.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Windows 7 and 10 are very different. I had plenty of Windows XP games that worked on 7 that do not work on 10. A Virtual Environment of Windows 7 or XP will fix this for you.

snowxsakura

Prominent
Jun 10, 2018

Okay thank you, can that be done through windows itself, or does it need 3rd party software?

"no Leisure Suit Larry?

You'll need a copy of XP for this to work, but there's this option:
https://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mo..."

I only have magna cum laude and it works fine

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With the most recent patch I found that some titles where my compatibility modes were overwritten. I had to mess with resolution defaults and reset compatibility to Windows XP (which requires admin rights to launch as well (technically "Run as Highest") There are further tricks that involve building your own app compatibility shims with the App Compatibility Toolkit. Some games don't need full permission but do rely on the fact that everyone was really an admin in Windows XP and you can get away with "Run as Invoker" and/or Elevate Create Process. That solved token passing where one program launches another, and the second needed admin rights but didn't get it. Some games had the menu be a separate executable.

Some applications do just need their folder and registry permissions changed (virtual registry shims can help here). A lot of older games are looking for a document and settings folder that doesn't exist anymore. You can fix that by re-installing the game in your own folder structure.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Follow the link he provided it tells you how to do it.