Question Older video cards not compatible with new mobos?

Apr 3, 2020
I am in process of upgrading. Started with MOBO from ASROCK, the x570 Extreme. Now a new Strix 570-E Gaming mobo from ASUS, 32 GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x. The RAM and CPU are on QVL list. My video card is a reference Sapphire AMD Radeon 480. Over the last 2 months, I have returned 4 of the ASROCKs, and 2 of the ASUS because of posting failure. One of each actually did post, was able to do partial setup, but then failed reboot. Each time I troubleshot, updated bios to newest, 1 stick RAM, etc.. Before returning this last one, I felt I had to check with the ASUS site to see if they could tell me if I were missing something. After a short discussion, he says my video card is "not compatible" with the mobo. NOT COMPATIBLE? It isn't that old, actually worked for a bit on both brands of mobo, what happened to standards? If it fits the PCIE slot, why can't it at least post bare bones VGA? So long story short, there may be an issue with newer (or maybe just 570x) mobos not being able to use older cards. Reviewers wouldn't catch it, they always use newer cards! What is the real story here, and should poor upgraders be warned?

Apr 3, 2020
I agree it should be.. but am I that unlucky to have 7 mobos unable to get past the VGA portion of the post? I also have an older Gigabyte 7850 that I used, both failed to get past post, in any of the slots. Shorted CMOS, remove battery 5 min, reseat components, mostly fail. I knew 570x mobos were very finicky with RAM, but never suspected an older video card could cause problems. It could still be poor quality control from ASROCK and
ASUS, but it is worth looking into. Again, for a short while one of each brand did actually get through post. On Asrock, I used a thumb drive w Linux on it and surfed the web for a few minutes, but when updating drivers it failed to re-post. On ASUS, it made it to bios, a couple tweaks and a reboot failed to post. On each it was the vga light that indicated a problem. So seemingly a short pass, then fail, fail, fail. The video card is back and currently in use writing this entry, so not a failed card. Seems to fit being an issue with the new mobos and old cards, but hope I am wrong.

I agree it should be.. but am I that unlucky to have 7 mobos unable to get past the VGA portion of the post? I also have an older Gigabyte 7850 that I used, both failed to get past post, in any of the slots. Shorted CMOS, remove battery 5 min, reseat components, mostly fail. I knew 570x mobos were very finicky with RAM, but never suspected an older video card could cause problems. It could still be poor quality control from ASROCK and
ASUS, but it is worth looking into. Again, for a short while one of each brand did actually get through post. On Asrock, I used a thumb drive w Linux on it and surfed the web for a few minutes, but when updating drivers it failed to re-post. On ASUS, it made it to bios, a couple tweaks and a reboot failed to post. On each it was the vga light that indicated a problem. So seemingly a short pass, then fail, fail, fail. The video card is back and currently in use writing this entry, so not a failed card. Seems to fit being an issue with the new mobos and old cards, but hope I am wrong.
Could be several things wrong...first is your card could be defective. Another is your PSU could be defective. Many RX480 cards won't boot up unless there's stable EPSv power on all the pins (mine won't). That's the cable/connector(s) that needs to be attached. So a less-than-good-enough PSU could make the card fail, or one with an EPSv cable with some missing pins.

One other thing is to disable AUTO or GEN4 on the PCIe slots; at least the GPU slot. Set it to PCIe gen 3. Of course, you do have to get past POST and into BIOS to do that....

Apr 3, 2020
Well, indeed that post thing.. :) But seriously, the 480 is in this system rt now, working fine with the power supply as it has done for the last couple years. The bench testing I did had a 750 W PC Power and Cooling, the system is similar. I did test using both. I use this when troubleshooting https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/ to help not miss potential problems. But there has to be something going on with 7 fails... It is odd for me to NOT want to upgrade the video, lol, but hate to spend more if I don't need to.

Well, indeed that post thing.. :) ...
With hardware to swap in you could try to find a card that will get the board to post into BIOS at least, for setting the PCIe slot to gen 3 max in case it's the gen 4 initializing that it's balking at. Then try the RX480. After all, the common thread here is both GPU and CPU which is responsible for the PCIe lanes to the GPU socket.

Also to upgrade the BIOS to latest in case newer AGESA helps.

And yes, RX480's are really good enough for gaming at 1080p. A shame to be forced to buy another GPU just for this.

Apr 3, 2020
Agree. I think I will end up getting a 5700, and although I could experiment on changing that and checking again, at that point I will just run with the new card. I wish the industry folk could chime in though, is it a problem or is it just bad luck. Had updated latest bios each time, sometimes more than once to make sure it took. Thanks for your input!

Apr 3, 2020
The continuing saga of Tim the unlucky... So I purchased an XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II to see if that really was a problem. No POST. Card went into my current system, working fine. Crud, another bad board? Returned//replaced. New mobo: setup on the box, plugged in RAM, CPU, dollop of thermal paste (which I swear I am gonna run out of, if this continues!!), sink/fan. All carefully placed, proper orientation, fully seated. 480 video card in place in first slot, power plugged into Mobo 24, mobo CPU, video card. PSU power on, pretty lights. Jumpered power on mobo, cycles through all until VGA light. At VGA, the cpu fan went full bore, but no further post. (final boot light not lit). I have a monitor hooked up (which operated fine on the same card as a second monitor, and currently working as a second monitor on regular puter under the new 5700CT card). Even have a keyboard hooked up, but never saw any action with it. This time I even had an older SSD with Win 8.1 hooked in, still never got to the POST. Tried 1 stick RAM, then the other. Tried shorting CMOS, then updating to newest (as of last week) via USB stick on back. Nope. Tried last version BIOS, nope. Pulled battery half hour, boot bare of BIOS versions, nope. Tried all 3 evga slots. Tried a brand new power supply, wasted 130 bucks, nope. (Evga 220-G5-0650-X1 Supernova 650w G5 Psu Pwr) I cannot swap a different CPU or RAM, as I have none on hand. The CPU and RAM both actually (after 3 tries) worked on the first ASUS mobo before it refused (on reboot to plug back in my other drives) to re-recognize the vga. (CPU is AMD 3700X and RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTRS.) So about to send this one back too. CANNOT help but to think I am doing something wrong, but have NO clue what. I am getting almost desparate enough to try a different room wall plug, sheesh. But again, the video card, monitor, my old computer, all work fine currently from the same room plugs, and I have tried all the other ones previously both on the "bench" and in my case, so both sides of the room plugs checked. Gah, pulling out hair here. Any suggestions before I send back mobo # 8?

Apr 3, 2020
BAH!! so on mobo 9 or 10 now. This is ridiculous. Bought more RAM to see, selected based on QVL list. Mobo is ASUS ROG Crosshair 8 Hero now. Tried swapping power supply to new, no dice.
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Also EVGA 650 G5
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, stock cooler
RAM: Both Gskill Trident Z Royal F4-3200C16D-32GTRS and Gskill Ripjaws V F4-3600C18D-32GVK, individual, dual, all 4..
Storage: Not yet installed (but did try having SSD, no luck)
Graphics: Both a Sapphire Radeon 480 and a new XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, both verified working in this current (old) system, even tried old Gigabyte AMD 7850
Monitor: Old Acer flat panel AL 1916 with adapter to use HDMI, then to HP zr2740w via DP

So now have spent extra money on RAM and Video.. do I have to get yet another CPU to prove it is isolated ot Mobo, or is it actually the CPU, sigh. This CPU did work for short time on earlier mobos before they failed reboot. I am at a loss. This being a 570x mobo, cannot think why it would need an older version cpu or other oddity, bios is flashed to latest ver 1302 on ASUS webpage. Also tried clear/remove battery half hr and reboot, no dice. Gonna see if I can find a local shop that can swap out parts until we find the issue, I guess. Grrr.

Apr 3, 2020
Final entry: It was the CPU. At some point apparently after the first 2 operating (for a short time) boards, it must have failed. Makes sense, the VGA bus ties directly into the CPU for X4 mode. I sent it in to AMD and the one I got back fired right up into BIOS. Have since installed board into case, took a chance with not re-installing win 10, it looks like the drivers needed have been auto added. IF it does start giving me oddities, I will clean install windows but so far so good. Subnautica went from average frames 26-28 (included from the old 480 card, didn't refresh until after this mobo) up to 56 average. TESO from mid 30's to 56 or so, observed several well over 100.. ... well, finally happy my upgrade made it live!

TRENDING THREADS