Question Omegle mobile data ban - please help me understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2023
Omegle mobile data ban - please help me understand

Hey everyone. I want to start off by saying I am NOT asking how to circumvent a ban. I more so want to understand it, the nature of the ban, and if it in fact was me or someone else.

Background: I discovered an IP address on my mobile data was banned from omegle in Feb of this year. Never ever been banned before.

I seldom use omegle on mobile data. Especially not in the past 120 days (some use but I would say a dozen times maybe). This is relevant because omegle’s privacy policy says 120 days typically or more for hanging onto meta data like IPs and associated cookies. I mostly used omegle from home wifi (on laptop or cell). Yes, some things I’ve done in the past could be ban worthy but never happened before and aren’t that egregious.

I confirmed I have a dynamic IP on mobile data. Also, I tested a lot of other mobile IPs by toggling airplane mode on and off. I learned that like 40+ IPs from the range which I typically draw are banned. But some are unbanned. Also connected to some Midwest IPs and about half of those were banned too (I’m not in the Midwest and think I only connected to those because there was high usage in my area that day but regardless a good number of them just happened to be banned). This is puzzling because I haven’t used omegle that much in even six months to have that many dynamic IPs rotated through and subsequently banned.

Omegle has stated it’s proactive in banning so it could be banning with a guilty by association policy via cookies. I have read though that omegle uses two factors to identify and ban. IPs and cookies. I know I cleared my cookies sometime between six months ago and Feb 2023. So, I don’t think they back banned all these other mobile data IPs I may/may not have used by virtue of having the same cookie (also not totally likely as I’ve cleared browser history somewhat regularly).

Also worth noting my home wifi is totally fine. Never banned. Same chats as on my mobile data but in higher volume. And also, had the same identifying cookie(s) on omegle when I use it on my phone while connected to wifi. Still fine.

Questions:

1. Is this ban applying to me? Or to someone else on the network given it’s a dynamic IP?

2. Do you think omegle implemented a broader ban on me/all the IPs used in past? Seems unlikely given I probably haven’t used 40+ IPs, the only link between the IPs (cookies) have also been routinely cleared, and my home wifi IP is ok despite sharing same cookie at a point in time.

3. Are there other methods they can use to blanket ban that maybe they don’t share? I’m not technically inclined but here’s what I could come up with:

A. IP block ban - confirmed untrue as some IPs in same range function.

B. Cookie ban - confirmed but inconsistent given home wifi has used same cookie and not banned.

C. IMEI/device ban - possible but unlikely given I can still use omegle on phone.

What else am I missing?

Basically, I want to understand this better and appeal my ban if possible. Thanks for reading this lengthy post if you got here.

Apr 12, 2023
I’ve sent an email but received no reply.

They don’t necessarily have a lot of modes of contact. There are some emails buried in their TOS but are fairly opaque.

That and all of this is pretty interesting to me. It’s like pulling back the curtain on magic and seeing how it really works. This post is both answering that specific question and also digging into something that’s piqued my interest. Though I don’t pretend to “get” it entirely.

Ralston18

Titan
As noted above, this is a discussion that you should be having with Omegle.

And discussing how bans and ban methods of any sort may work, may be implemented, or actually could already be in use goes into gray areas. Noted your interest to know and wanting to "get it". Even with no stated intent to circumvent a ban. There is really no way from this end to know anyone's real intentions.

That said: again, you should be asking Omegle why you are banned (if that is indeed the case) instead of asking questions about how "your ban" is being applied or enforced.

Closing thread accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.