May 8, 2020
Hello, I hope you're all well.

I'm currently experiencing a huge issue... Not only am I stuck abroad but now having to deal with a half-broken laptop. For some reason, all of the sudden last night my laptop couldn't get passed the omen logo screen whilst booting up; it just displayed a black screen.

Things I tried:
  • Running it in safe mode via command prompt to uninstall graphic drivers (bear in mind I tried it multiple times, even with UUD software) but then as soon as the laptop comes back up and the gfx gets detected it just goes black again and I cant do anything
  • Installing different version of drivers
  • Connecting to other screens and monitors
  • rolling back on windows and trying 4 different versions
  • opening up the laptop, taking out components such as the battery, ram, etc etc.
  • Running hp component check: all passed each time
  • i made sure every connection is solid and all cables are fine
and many more... The only time the laptop really works is when I boot it up in safe mode, disable my RTX 2060, and boot it up normally.

Any suggestions please? I really cannot send this product to HP, I am abroad and I rely on this laptop in order to survive (I work on it).

Thanks

May 8, 2020
First try go to bios and disable 2060 in there , f10 to save and exit. IF theere is no option go to nvidia control panel and under 3d settings => global settings put "preferred graphics processor" to integrated graphics then apply and save.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gamin...s-it-possible-to-switch-to/m-p/7337199#M23615
I already tried reverting and updating bios. Nothing helped. I installed a brand new laptop screen, now I can use the RTX 2060, but only with an external monitor. My laptop monitor remains black and it is 'not active' according to windows settings.

I meant internal cable from motherboard to internal LCD, you need to search with model number for right kind of cable

Example : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32980492573.html
(this might not be it i just search with omen 15), also you need 2 channel edp cable if your running 1980x1080 resolution LCD. The reason why your screen is black after replacing might be if your original screen is not FHD and you replace with FHD and cable doesntr supoport it)

May 8, 2020
I meant internal cable from motherboard to internal LCD, you need to search with model number for right kind of cable
sorry but what do you mean "internal lcd"? I have the right kind of cable. It is the 40 pin 'connector pin'. I bought the new laptop LCD from hp that was especially desinged for the 40 pin connector that the old screen was connected to.

edit: ill try to buy a new cable and try that. Thanks! I just cant understand why its detected if the cable is faulty

May 8, 2020
If you get no picture in bios etc with the internal LCD then its not driver or software related. Leaves only cable and motherboard issues.
I agree with the cable, doubting the motherboard issues. I have ran component tests, all passed, and ran stress tests which were all fine too. Very odd issue though.

Thanks for your time and help.

If you can run everything fine under stress tests with external monitor then that could exclude the 2060 chip itself (that its dying).

Have you checked everything near LCD connector on the motherboard looks fine, any liquid ever dropped to the laptop? Look the connector closely on the motherboard.

May 8, 2020
If you can run everything fine under stress tests with external monitor then that could exclude the 2060 chip itself (that its dying).

Have you checked everything near LCD connector on the motherboard looks fine, any liquid ever dropped to the laptop? Look the connector closely on the motherboard.
The laptop is almost brand new (2 months old) it hasn't been dropped, opened, or damaged since I bought it. So I'm really hoping its the pin connector! I'll try to find a new one and replace it

Jun 21, 2020
Hello, I hope you're all well.

I'm currently experiencing a huge issue... Not only am I stuck abroad but now having to deal with a half-broken laptop. For some reason, all of the sudden last night my laptop couldn't get passed the omen logo screen whilst booting up; it just displayed a black screen.

Things I tried:
  • Running it in safe mode via command prompt to uninstall graphic drivers (bear in mind I tried it multiple times, even with UUD software) but then as soon as the laptop comes back up and the gfx gets detected it just goes black again and I cant do anything
  • Installing different version of drivers
  • Connecting to other screens and monitors
  • rolling back on windows and trying 4 different versions
  • opening up the laptop, taking out components such as the battery, ram, etc etc.
  • Running hp component check: all passed each time
  • i made sure every connection is solid and all cables are fine
and many more... The only time the laptop really works is when I boot it up in safe mode, disable my RTX 2060, and boot it up normally.

Any suggestions please? I really cannot send this product to HP, I am abroad and I rely on this laptop in order to survive (I work on it).

Thanks
most likely the connection from the GPU to the screen is fricked. HP makes this laptop run the screen directl from the GPU (no NVIDIA Optimus)

May 8, 2020
most likely the connection from the GPU to the screen is fricked. HP makes this laptop run the screen directl from the GPU (no NVIDIA Optimus)
Yeah, I'm in bad luck. I've contacted HP UK and HP Poland. Neither helped me out. Also, they admitted to have the cables in their factories but they were not willing to ship one out to me.

I've got the serial number of the cable but I cannot find it anywhere in the world. I tried ebay, amazon, recommended spare stores by hp, etc. I'll never waste money on a HP product again. For comparison, DELL sent a component free of charge to my friends house when he experienced issues.

3 months later the problem is still there, I went to 7 laptop repair shops, one even recommended me to sell the laptop in parts. +6000 polish zlotych on a brand new laptop, matrix breaks and boom, nothing can be done? It's quite pathetic really.

EDIT: The laptop has to be connected to a broken matrix in order to use an external monitor. With the matrix taken out I get a black screen, and it only works with rtx2060 turned off.

Reactions: Mixer12000