OMEN Gaming PC: Attempt to Upgrade System or Start From Scratch?

Dec 16, 2018
As per the "strong recommendation" of my dad, last year I purchased an HP OMEN 880-010z with the following specs:
1TB HDD
12GB RAM
RX 580 4G
500W Bronze
Ryzen 7 1700
~$1100 (purchased during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale)

Decent specs, but I plan on upgrading my systems, and the Omen is really limited in flexibility. Mobo only has 1 PCIe slot, and case only has 2 fan mounts due to the gimmicky design. My dad's thinking was that the specs were similar to the system I wanted to build along with a very long warranty. However, my planned build would have been extremely flexible for expansion as parts became obsolete. Should I trudge through with the Omen, swapping and selling parts as I go, or should I sell the system entirely and begin anew? Unfortunately, because the purchase and part list were made last year, I deleted that part list as prices changed, but if I were to build a new system, I'm certain I could find a build equal or even exceeding the original assuming prices remain consistent. If you can't give a straightforward answer, even the smallest bit of insight to help me make my own decision would also be greatly appreciated.

Solution
What I got from your reply : I want a system that I can build/upgrade at my own pace.

Looking at your current rig, the parts that definitely needs changing are the case and the psu.

You can reuse the cpu/mobo/ram/gpu/storage.

You might also wanna buy a new cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Lian-Li - LANCOOL ONE DIGITAL ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.11 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)...
First of all, what's ur expectation from ur upgrade? 1080p 144hz? 2k 144hz?

Cuz that hp omen with the 1700 and 580 is still a very relevant 1080p 60fps gaming rig.

But like you pointed out, if you want to upgrade to a new pc, it's better to start from scratch.

So if you have decided on a new pc and if you have a budget, along with what you want from ur pc like I asked above, we can help you with a part list.

Dec 16, 2018

I suppose I should have specified that I'm not expecting to potentially make the switch anytime soon. I'm hoping to build a system equivalent to (if not, slightly better than) my current system but at standards of the distant future. Rather, as of right now, I want to be prepared to make whichever decision I choose in the end, whether it be mental or monetary. For example, I want to buy an SSD regardless of my choice, but if I decide to plan a new system, I may buy additional parts (like case, fan, etc). I hope to hold onto my system for as long as possible. I'm expecting to head off to college next fall (hopefully), so I don't expect to be able to afford an immediate switch. That also means a part list right now would likely be unnecessary.

I think I'm mentally frazzled and probably contradicted myself, but regardless, thanks.

What I got from your reply : I want a system that I can build/upgrade at my own pace.

Looking at your current rig, the parts that definitely needs changing are the case and the psu.

You can reuse the cpu/mobo/ram/gpu/storage.

You might also wanna buy a new cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Lian-Li - LANCOOL ONE DIGITAL ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.11 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $257.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 23:27 EST-0500

Case with 360 aio support, good ventilation, front USB type C and rgb.

750w rock solid psu for expandability.

500gb ssd for os and games.

Good cooler for your 1700.

Solution
Your current system looks fine to me. Not sure about the case, but you could transplant everything into a new case of your choice without much pain and have better airflow.

Is your mobo an mITX form factor then?

(I definitely support a SSD, if you get the Crucial MX500 500GB @ newegg it's $62 right now with promo code)

Dec 16, 2018

No, I have an mATX which is what makes me unhappy with the motherboard having so few slots. I do agree with transplanting parts to a new case, so I think if I buy a new mobo and case I can use that as a foundation for future upgrades. Thanks!

Dec 16, 2018

Now that I've had time to consider, I will be going with a slow upgrade while keeping most of my parts. Thank you for the part recommendations; I think getting a new case is one of the outstanding priorities, so it will definitely be something I will be modifying. I appreciate your help.

TRENDING THREADS