Question Omen Laptop overheating in games that I used to ran easily.

zor99

Honorable
Nov 7, 2014
I have a hp omen 15 ce0xx laptop. I bought it about a year and a half ago, a bit less maybe, and for the longest while, I haven't had a single problem with it. However, about 3 months ago, the performance in some of the more demanding games that I play (Don't remember what I played at the time but think of something as demanding as the Witcher 3) started slowly dropping. I thought it was just an os problem(old leftover files, maybe viruses etc.) and was too lazy to reset it. Also, I switched to mainly playing less demanding games (LoL, etc.). Last week I installed Stellaris and it ran at an easy 90+ with decent thermals (~70-80 on both CPU and GPU). As a couple of days ago, it got to a point where my system would sometimes overheat even when on idle, the fps on every single game on my PC dropped to like 10-15. I immediately backed my files up and reset my OS. Freshly installed it and updated everything. The thermals are now fine on idle (60-70, probably still higher then they were a year or so ago), however, I was still getting low fps on more demanding titles (Destiny 2 at 7 fps, Star Wars Fallen Order at ~15 on both high and medium settings) and temperatures around 90-95 on both CPU and GPU. My FPS was fine in LoL(120) but the thermals were still 90+. I tried undervolting the CPU, which got the thermals down by about 3-5 degrees, updated my bios, windows and drivers. Ran diagnostics via the HP PC hardware diagnostics, everything was fine. I just don't know what to do anymore. At first, the thermals would drop real fast( and the FPS would rise to at least ~50 on the more demanding titles) if I disconnected the power supply and played on battery, however, since then my battery somehow got damaged and now shuts down after less than five minutes of use( the hp diagnostic tool says: Logic State: WEAK; Charge State: Blown Fuse). So now my battery is dead too. I can't even open the laptop for cleaning as that would break my warranty, nor can I take it to an HP tech support center because of the COVID19 lockdown... Not to mention I use this laptop for work as well as gaming. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Safe to say this has been the worst week I've had in a while... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SPECS:

Product name: OMEN by HP Laptop 15-ce0xx

CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 2.50GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

GPU: 2047MB (Not sure if this is a mistake, I was pretty sure that my graphics card had 4GB of VRAM) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design (HP)

RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)

Motherboard: HP 8390 (U3E1)

In advance, thanks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS