Question Omen Sequencer Keyboard malfunctioning after motherboard/cpu change

Jan 16, 2020
I had an i5 7400/H110m system and a HP omen sequencer optical-mechanical keyboard which worked fine with 0 issues. Due to some funny circumstances i got the opportunity to upgrade to a brand new i5 9400F/H310m (Asrock H310CM-HDV) system for dirt cheap (basically free), and now the keyboard freezes randomly after the upgrade. I have to unplug and replug it in to make it work again.

I tried switching usb ports (3.0<->2.0), using front panel ports, using the ports in my monitor (powered hub), disabling & enabling RGB in case it was drawing too much voltage, disabling selective suspend, disabling USB legacy support, removing & adding it in device manager, reinstalling windows, etc.

I noticed that the Omen command center software would cause the freezing to be more frequent, so i uninstalled it, which seemed to help a bit for a few days, and then the RGB got disabled on its own and stopped working for 2 weeks along with the freezing issue (the RGB works now, btw).

I imagine the issue is either voltage related (USB ports not supplying enough or too much voltage, so its a motherboard issue), or the keyboard has just gone defective.

I have tried the keyboard with my laptop and it seems fine, but since it tends to freeze randomly I don't know if its actually fine or not.

Should i just RMA both motherboard and keyboard, just in case, or is there anything else i can try?

Jan 16, 2020
Turns out i had an issue with the stabilizer that I had connected my system to, that was leaking current into ground. Apparently improper grounding can cause the USB ports to malfunction, and on connecting the PC directly to the outlet the keyboard has not frozen for more than 8 hours now, when it used to freeze within 5 mins of connecting it to the PC.

The RGB, however has disabled itself and i cant figure out why or how to turn it back on. The inbuilt keyboard commands for RGB profiles and changes in Omen Command Center dont seem to be working, but I dont care about the RGB much and would rather have a working keyboard.

Jan 16, 2020
Turns out i had an issue with the stabilizer that I had connected my system to, that was leaking current into ground. Apparently improper grounding can cause the USB ports to malfunction, and on connecting the PC directly to the outlet the keyboard has not frozen for more than 8 hours now, when it used to freeze within 5 mins of connecting it to the PC.

The RGB, however has disabled itself and i cant figure out why or how to turn it back on. The inbuilt keyboard commands for RGB profiles and changes in Omen Command Center dont seem to be working, but I dont care about the RGB much and would rather have a working keyboard.

The freezing issue is back, and the RGB is still broken. I have a cheap USB keyboard that I'm using as backup and sometimes both keyboards freeze at the same time. I guess that points back to the motherboard or OS?

Rn my question is, what should i RMA given this new information?

Jan 16, 2020
I borrowed my friend's Seasonic Prime 650w PSU(SSR 650TD) and both the keyboards froze within 2 minutes. Unfortunately his motherboard has gone for RMA and i cannot test my keyboard with his system.

I put in a support request with Asrock, lets see what they say.