OMG..HELP!! mobo isn't compatible with BFG 7800gs oc agp

rxzero

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
OMG .. help! i've recently purchased a bfg 7800gs oc agp, i haven't installed yet as i am waiting for my new psu. while reading my user manual for the motherboard i have came across the following notice:

"caution: agp 2x is not supported by intel 848P. you might experience system unable to boot up normally. please insert an AGP 4x/8x card"

my motherboard: http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1769

this message freaked me out so i went to check the specifications for the mini specs for the graphics card and it says that it needs an available 2.0 slot or higher.

does this mean that it is incompatible?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
A 7800 GS is most definitely NOT a 2X AGP card... that card should work in any modern 4X/8X slot assuming the system's powersupply can push it. You should be fine... don't sweat it!

AGP 2.0 and 2X are two different animals... 2.0 refers to a slot that is capable of supporting a 4X, 2X or 1X AGP card.

AGP 3.0 (what your board has) refers to a slot that is capable of supporting 8X all the way down to 1X.

The 1X, 2X, 4X stuff refers to the speed of the interface... not its physical orientation.

Here's a link that'll straighten you out...

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/10,63.html

Relax bro... it's gonna work fine!

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Not all AGP2.0, and 3.0 slots support AGP 1x, or AGP 2x, because there was a voltage change from 3.3V to 1.5V

Some motherboards have 'Universal AGP' which can handle anything. These boards have no dividers in the socket.

Some boards are 3.3V only, and will have a divider so you cant plug in a 1.5V card. Some boards are 1.5V only so you cant plug in a 3.3V card.

Some graphics cards are universal as well, easy to spot as the AGP interface is split into 3 parts.

Anyway, as the last post said, relax. Your board, and card are compatible.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I didn't really mention the voltage thing because it doesn't apply to his board or card... honestly, most people don't fool around with those older AGP cards now.

Yep, you're gonna be just fine.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
This poor guy is worried about keeping an AGP system going and you are talking about SLI. It sounds to me like his next investment will have to move him into the PCIe realm but I doubt he is popping for SLI especially since it seems to always be better to buy one really good card than 2 other cards you coud get for the same price (and I doubt he is going to get 2 top end cards).

mas0n

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
it is better to do research and put those worries to rest then go in blind and get stuck eating a 20% return fee.

You will love the GS

rennervision

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I'm having a similar problem with the same card. (I'm not ready to invest in SLI.) I'm building a new PC and am a little confused.

The manual to my motherboard says it supports AGP8X/4X, and states that I can only install 1.5V AGP cards. Does that mean I can't use the 7800 GS OC? Since it is an 8X AGP, I assume it is .8V. The manual also states 3.3V cards are not supported, but I believe that is not relevant to the card I want to use.

I'm hoping the manual didn't mention the MB supports .8V because I should be smart enough to know it does. (Unfortunately, I'm not. :D )

Can he move his AGP GPU to an SLI rig????

No...back in the day there were AGP "sli" mobos but the technology has changed that SLI as we know it today is PCIe only...the PCIe bus has the bandwidth to carry the data that SLI requires...besides, how could nVidia, ATI, and all the mobo manufacturers push new product if they kept recycling old technology...

nategarst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Atleast he isn't stuck with a PCI card. My friend had that situation with his Dell. His card was maxed out with a GeForce 5500. I convinced him to build a new computer using PCI-E. Amazing difference.

rennervision

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Sorry guys, I may not have been too clear. I know it's not a 2X AGP card. I'm well aware it's 8X AGP. I was concerned about the voltage. Will it work in my MB (An ASUS A8V) when the manual says I can only use 1.5V video cards?

Thanks again.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'm having a similar problem with the same card. (I'm not ready to invest in SLI.) I'm building a new PC and am a little confused.

The manual to my motherboard says it supports AGP8X/4X, and states that I can only install 1.5V AGP cards. Does that mean I can't use the 7800 GS OC? Since it is an 8X AGP, I assume it is .8V. The manual also states 3.3V cards are not supported, but I believe that is not relevant to the card I want to use.

I'm hoping the manual didn't mention the MB supports .8V because I should be smart enough to know it does. (Unfortunately, I'm not. :D )

OK, your card will work because it is 1.5v, the 8X is about the bandwidth at which information travels from your card to the cpu, thus AGP (accelerated graphics port) 8X (eight times). 8X does not refer in any way to the voltage.