pat

Expert
Who need <A HREF="http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMDM2" target="_new">that</A>... really!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, that's one way to use DDR-2 with a socket 939 A64!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

pat

Expert
If only it was.. but no, the AMD card has its own slots of DDR memory. Notice the notch in the DDR slots on the AMD card and the one in the DDR2 slots on the Intel side.

This board is for someone with decidophobia.

..and yes that is a term that I actually looked up for this post. :lol: Didn't know there were so many <A HREF="http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/phobia_list_of_all_phobias.asp?SDID=6540:1944" target="_new">phobias</A> out there. The human race is scared of some stupid sh!t!

G

Well, we're only human :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Taken from the site:
In one fell swoop, ECS are attempting to remove the cost problem inherent in switching between an Intel or AMD machine.
How does this really help with the cost problem? You still need to buy 2xCPU's 2xthe RAM, I bet this new motherboard cost just as much as 2 normal motherboards. All you are saving on is the graphics card case and drives, and you lose the ability to use both systems at the same time! Seems like a complete waste o'money to me.

Definitely agree with you Jammy...don't see the benefit of doing something like this. The only way I see this getting major play is thru OEM sales. An individual buys an OEM, does some research and then wants to do a relatively cheap switch to AMD. I would like to see some performance benchmarks from this with both Intel and AMD setups and then compare those to normal rigs for comparison. Anyone that does the research and wants to switch to AMD for performance will want to see some benchies for comparison....

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
That wouldnt even work, since the add in board is only compatible with that one motherboard (both the intel and AMD system share the same southbridge on the mainboard).

I was talking about sales of this board to OEMs for use in system builds - not purchasing the AMD slot board for use in other mobos.

Exactly...I see this falling flat on its face...

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
wtf... is there really that much of a demand for switching companies cpus like that? wtf is ecs thinking?

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

Innovation? What kind of funky BS can we put on the street now? I wonder how many of <b>these</b> we can get people to buy?

I think someone in R&D is smokin some serious crack!

pat

Expert
If you cannot have the attention for decent performing motherboard, then, try to have it from unusual design ...

Simple ...

sharps107

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
i hope this goes down in flames horribly. it's an incredibly stupid idea and it will obviosly impede performance at every level. uber-expensive too, as you said.

-I'm Laughing At It Now-

Move along people - there's nothing to see here....

*whips out manhood*
*sprays gouts of piss onto the burning ashes*