OMG! wifi signal keeps dropping

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
so i bought a wireless repeater to extend my wifi. and ever since i installed it my wifi signal keeps being dropped. my ps3 keeps losing connection to the wifi and so does my phone.

what do, toms?

Solution
Not sure if there's anything you can even do about that. Its like trying to drag out an already stretched rope, the extended end wont hold well. For gaming, I recommend using an ethernet cable. If not possible, move your router closer to your PS3. But a repeater wont help at all unless you're well within range of the router (and of course, well within the range of the repeater).

Source of info: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2040511/netgear-wifi-extender-dropping-connection-picking-back.html

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Not sure if there's anything you can even do about that. Its like trying to drag out an already stretched rope, the extended end wont hold well. For gaming, I recommend using an ethernet cable. If not possible, move your router closer to your PS3. But a repeater wont help at all unless you're well within range of the router (and of course, well within the range of the repeater).

Source of info: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2040511/netgear-wifi-extender-dropping-connection-picking-back.html

Solution

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
well the repeater isnt that far away from the modem/router its like 15ft away in the next room. and the ps3 is like 15ft from that. my phone and laptop get great signal where the repeater was placed but once downstairs its crappy. the wifi signal has gotten better with the repeater but the wifi drops out.

my ps3 gets connection error and signs me out. and my phone does the same, where im using an app or something and connection to network is lost. then i have to turn off and on my wifi on the phone.

edit: i have a cox netgear cg3000d. and the repeater is a tp-link 300mbps wireless n AP tl-wa801nd

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
why are you using the repeater? i mean if just for the ps3 you may want to look into something like a homeplug or something from the original router if the wiring of the house is good

also, do the networks use the same ssid, since they are so close they may be competing with each other wth the device

ib2007

Dec 7, 2011
Check online if there are any known issues with your devices and see if there are any firmware updates. Also try using another channel. If there are other devices using near channels move it to another side of the spectrum. Using directional antennas can increase signal quality and strength.

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
sorry guys, i found out that a wifi repeater is completely useless for what i was trying to do (netflix and gaming) the signals would interfere and cause the connections to drop, it was easier for me to turn my access point from a repeater to what it was meant for.... an access point. lol

well i never had use these things before but since it the repeater feature I thought it was a good idea to use it as that. Thank god that it also has POE too, it allowed me to place my access point in a place with no outlet.

well thank you guys again and sorry for wasting your time.