ferusgrim

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hello, community of Tom's Hardware! This will end up being my second support thread (yay).

Recently, I had a problem with my breaker, and it surged the fuse that my computer connects to. Even though it was hooked into a surge protector, it seems it was damaged.

All I saw (I wasn't in the room) was a bright light that appeared near the back-top of my computer. Nothing seems to be wrong... other than the fact that the graphics card doesn't work now (though, the on-board card does - thus, what I'm using to see this message).

I've tried everything I know to get it working again. =/ The warranty is old, now... The card was only used for a little while before this incident. About a month. So it's rather new.

Any suggestions?

Power Supply
Graphics Card

Also, a feedback about the graphics card says that it was coming OC (Which I presume means Overclocked), and was causing failure issues for the user. I'm not 100% if this would be my issue, as my card displays nothing, even at boot. But, if it were, how would I fix it?

Solution
Newegg has a 30 day return policy. That means that if you have an issue with it in the return period, you can send it back to be replaced through Newegg. Outside of that 30 days, the manufacturer of the card also has a warranty that will involve sending it back to them and receiving a replacement. Your HIS card has a 2 year manufacturer warranty.

Here's the warranty page:
http://www.hisdigital.com/us/support-71.shtml

You can't really test your PSU's true capabilities without professional equipment and possibly killing the PSU in the process.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
If there's no visible damage to the card, you should be able to just RMA it and receive a replacement. That PSU is not the greatest, but it should be fine as long as you don't push it too hard.

ferusgrim

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Is there something wrong with my PSU? I ran a pre-buy check of my system through "Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator", and it said I wouldn't even need 500W. I figured 550W would be perfect.

Also, RMA? I was under the impression that I couldn't, if my warranty wasn't active, anymore.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
It's not the wattage of the PSU that's concerning. Cooler Master is known to overrrate their power supplies, so your 550W may only really be good for consistent power up to 450W.

How is your warranty expired already? The cards haven't even been out a year.

ferusgrim

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

I bought it from NewEgg. I believe my warranty was only a month.

EDIT: Is there a way to test my PSUs real power?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Newegg has a 30 day return policy. That means that if you have an issue with it in the return period, you can send it back to be replaced through Newegg. Outside of that 30 days, the manufacturer of the card also has a warranty that will involve sending it back to them and receiving a replacement. Your HIS card has a 2 year manufacturer warranty.

Here's the warranty page:
http://www.hisdigital.com/us/support-71.shtml

You can't really test your PSU's true capabilities without professional equipment and possibly killing the PSU in the process.

Solution

ferusgrim

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

You've made my day! I just opened a support ticket with HIS. Hopefully I can get my card fixed or replaced. :) Thank you, so much.

Also, I think I'll refrain from testing my PSU. If I get the cash to buy a new one, what would you suggest?

If I need to start a new topic to ask a question, just tell me. x3

ferusgrim

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Thanks. I'll do some better research when it comes to PSUs. They were, honestly, something I didn't look at much besides ensuring it was a high enough wattage with the right amount of connectors / pins. Silly me.

I selected your post about the 2 year warranty as the best answer. Thanks again. :)