On Asus' Backlight Bleed: A Follow Up To Our Asus ROG Swift PG279Q Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Many times I have seen bleed mainly come from a tight bezel/housing or even the LCD panel's metal housing creating the hotspot - not so much from the layers themselves. Many times bleed goes away debezeling or in the worst cases adjusting the LCD layer metal surround. All in all pressure is baaaad! Good for ASUS stepping up and swapping panels.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I have an ultrawide monitor, it is GREAT. I was reading a review of the monitor after i purchased it and the review said that monitor had some backlight bleed. I looked and sure enough there was some.

I did not even know it was there before someone said it is there. I have never even thought about it again until this article.

It is just a trivial thing to focus on, it is really a non issue.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I have an ultrawide monitor, it is GREAT. I was reading a review of the monitor after i purchased it and the review said that monitor had some backlight bleed. I looked and sure enough there was some.

I did not even know it was there before someone said it is there. I have never even thought about it again until this article.

Trivial when you are paying a cheap price, not when ur paying 700.

SpAwNtoHell

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
I wanted badly either the rog ips or the predator ips but i had to settle in the end for the tn and a smaller screen size as i could not live with this gamble, in uk both rog and predator are about the same price 700£... If ordered online as in retail storeyou can add another 100 easy. So bottom line i took my chance with tn 24" aoc telling to myself if worse comes to worse my loss will be less then half also my dissapoitment in the monitor. This is not a perfect monitor but is not as bad as assus and acer reports. I am very curious when oled hits the desktop if the problem persists..

Chetou

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
"In the screen uniformity tests, we found some backlight bleed (aka "IPS glow")"

Backlight bleed and IPS glow are two different things!

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
i wonder if problems with Backlit Bleeding will go away with OLED screens or we could expect the same issues there. Anybody?

I don't think there is even potential for backlit bleeding with OLED because there is no backlight. im not sure how its layered or if there are layers even, but im assuming there will/could still be other issues, but backlight will not be one of them

Uri___Pisarev

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Trivial when you are paying a cheap price, not when ur paying 700.

I paid around 1K for my Dell. It's one of those internet problems, people need to find something to complain about, something that is meaningless in real world usage.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
"IPS Glow" and backlight bleed are not the same things. One is caused by the backlight escaping the edge of the bezel or frame and "bleeding" light onto the edge of the picture. IPS Glow is the inherent glow when viewing blacks at an angle.

If I want a monitor review I use tftcentral.co.uk. Maybe some of Tom's employees could get a lesson on how to do a monitor review from them :)

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I just got my ASUS PG279Q monitor in a couple of days ago. It was made in Jan, 2016 and there is no hotspots that I can tell. I cranked the brightness up to max and fooled with the contrast. Completely uniform and minimal bleedthrough. Bringing the brightness down to usable levels (around 50 for brightness, saturation, and contrast of 42) gives me a terrific picture, noticeably better than my 2 year old Dell. I wonder if the newer builds have compensated for this issue? GREAT monitor for gaming BTW!

yojacko

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I just got my ASUS PG279Q monitor in a couple of days ago. It was made in Jan, 2016 and there is no hotspots that I can tell. I cranked the brightness up to max and fooled with the contrast. Completely uniform and minimal bleedthrough. Bringing the brightness down to usable levels (around 50 for brightness, saturation, and contrast of 42) gives me a terrific picture, noticeably better than my 2 year old Dell. I wonder if the newer builds have compensated for this issue? GREAT monitor for gaming BTW!

Did you get it online? Newegg?

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006

Do a search on Google for a product. There are options up on top, one is shopping. I clicked on that and bought it from Frys as it had lowest price, free shipping, and no tax (Amazon adds tax to my state). Worked out well even tho it was not in stock at the time. I got only a few days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS