on board USB2 fails

Hi,

I am having a bit of trouble with the onboard USB2 for an Asus P4C800-E
Deluxe motherboard. I
have a new installation of WinXP Pro plus all the updates (including SP1 and
updated the USB drivers to USB2). I have a DVDRW drive enclosed in a USB2
external case as well as an external USB2 case with a 80gig hard drive.
Both devices start to work (recognised) as soon they are plugged into the
front port on mu PC case. However, approx. half way into burning a disk or
transferring a file, the devices hang. Both devices work ok on another
similarly spec'd computer. So I'm thinking it may be something to do with
the USB2 features on the motherboard. To remedy the situation, I have
fiddled with the USB settings in device manager (the power saving options
turned off for the USB hubs.). However I am still having the same problems.
Anyone any ideas?? BTW there are no conflicts in device manager.

Thanks,

Shane

DS

"no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having a bit of trouble with the onboard USB2 for an Asus P4C800-E
> Deluxe motherboard. I
> have a new installation of WinXP Pro plus all the updates (including SP1
and
> updated the USB drivers to USB2). I have a DVDRW drive enclosed in a USB2
> external case as well as an external USB2 case with a 80gig hard drive.
> Both devices start to work (recognised) as soon they are plugged into the
> front port on mu PC case. However, approx. half way into burning a disk
or
> transferring a file, the devices hang. Both devices work ok on another
> similarly spec'd computer. So I'm thinking it may be something to do with
> the USB2 features on the motherboard. To remedy the situation, I have
> fiddled with the USB settings in device manager (the power saving options
> turned off for the USB hubs.). However I am still having the same
problems.
> Anyone any ideas?? BTW there are no conflicts in device manager.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Shane

Do they work on the rear ports?

Thanks for the reply. I re-updated all the USB controllers in device
manager (which I thought I'd done after installing SP1) and there was one
that updated to a USB2 controller. That was the problem (I think).
However, there could be a faulty connection to the front panel also so I'll
see what happens after some use.

Shane