On-camera lighting (Wedding)

Just finished editing another wedding with the wish that I had been
able to use just a touch of extra lighting for the Grand March.
Sometimes I must set-up the PD-150 in such a spot to cover the March
that the only light from the Disc Jockey is not adequate or out of
position. Does anyone have a success story using a particular
on-camera light to add just a bit of light to help the great lowlight
capabilities of the PD-150? If the light is shoe mounted, where does
the camera mounted microphone go? It'd be nice not to have a second
tripod for the light. As always, The amount of time I would need to
use it requires a minimal amount of money to spend on it. A few
hundred dollars or less?? Thanks

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

<chebba@hbci.com> wrote in message
> Just finished editing another wedding with the wish that I had been
> able to use just a touch of extra lighting for the Grand March.
> Sometimes I must set-up the PD-150 in such a spot to cover the March
> that the only light from the Disc Jockey is not adequate or out of
> position. Does anyone have a success story using a particular
> on-camera light to add just a bit of light to help the great lowlight
> capabilities of the PD-150? If the light is shoe mounted, where does
> the camera mounted microphone go? It'd be nice not to have a second
> tripod for the light. As always, The amount of time I would need to
> use it requires a minimal amount of money to spend on it. A few
> hundred dollars or less?? Thanks

Most on-camera lights I see in wedding videos look awful - the bright spot
in the center of the screen that doesn't move is quite annoying.

There may be something softer available, but I've never seen one.

Frankly, whenever I have done a wedding, I put the options to the couple:
on-camera light or they need to keep the lights up a little (at least for
the important dances) and settle for a grainy video after I add all the
various enhancements to lighten it (boosting gain, raising brightness in
post, etc).

I show footage of both. Inevitably, the couple chooses the grainer video
over the on-camera light after seeing the end results. To the point that I
have never had to use a light at a wedding shoot.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:16:14 -0700, "Tony" <tony23@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

><chebba@hbci.com> wrote in message
>> Just finished editing another wedding with the wish that I had been
>> able to use just a touch of extra lighting for the Grand March.
>> Sometimes I must set-up the PD-150 in such a spot to cover the March
>> that the only light from the Disc Jockey is not adequate or out of
>> position. Does anyone have a success story using a particular
>> on-camera light to add just a bit of light to help the great lowlight
>> capabilities of the PD-150? If the light is shoe mounted, where does
>> the camera mounted microphone go? It'd be nice not to have a second
>> tripod for the light. As always, The amount of time I would need to
>> use it requires a minimal amount of money to spend on it. A few
>> hundred dollars or less?? Thanks
>
>Most on-camera lights I see in wedding videos look awful - the bright spot
>in the center of the screen that doesn't move is quite annoying.
>
>There may be something softer available, but I've never seen one.
>
>Frankly, whenever I have done a wedding, I put the options to the couple:
>on-camera light or they need to keep the lights up a little (at least for
>the important dances) and settle for a grainy video after I add all the
>various enhancements to lighten it (boosting gain, raising brightness in
>post, etc).
>
>I show footage of both. Inevitably, the couple chooses the grainer video
>over the on-camera light after seeing the end results. To the point that I
>have never had to use a light at a wedding shoot.

Thanks for the on target answer. You've some light on this issue. Ed

chebba@hbci.com wrote:

> Just finished editing another wedding with the wish that I had been
> able to use just a touch of extra lighting for the Grand March.
> Sometimes I must set-up the PD-150 in such a spot to cover the March
> that the only light from the Disc Jockey is not adequate or out of
> position. Does anyone have a success story using a particular
> on-camera light to add just a bit of light to help the great lowlight
> capabilities of the PD-150? If the light is shoe mounted, where does
> the camera mounted microphone go? It'd be nice not to have a second
> tripod for the light. As always, The amount of time I would need to
> use it requires a minimal amount of money to spend on it. A few
> hundred dollars or less?? Thanks

Our video lights are always on the camera for the pre, post, and
reception shots. Just a little 100 watt battery powered incandescent.

And what on earth do you need a camera mounted microphone for? The
camera already has an excellent "camera mounted" microphone - in stereo,
and for free.

Gary Eickmeier

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:42:07 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
<geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>chebba@hbci.com wrote:
>
>> Just finished editing another wedding with the wish that I had been
>> able to use just a touch of extra lighting for the Grand March.
>> Sometimes I must set-up the PD-150 in such a spot to cover the March
>> that the only light from the Disc Jockey is not adequate or out of
>> position. Does anyone have a success story using a particular
>> on-camera light to add just a bit of light to help the great lowlight
>> capabilities of the PD-150? If the light is shoe mounted, where does
>> the camera mounted microphone go? It'd be nice not to have a second
>> tripod for the light. As always, The amount of time I would need to
>> use it requires a minimal amount of money to spend on it. A few
>> hundred dollars or less?? Thanks
>
>Our video lights are always on the camera for the pre, post, and
>reception shots. Just a little 100 watt battery powered incandescent.
>
>And what on earth do you need a camera mounted microphone for? The
>camera already has an excellent "camera mounted" microphone - in stereo,
>and for free.
>
>Gary Eickmeier

Your right of course. I got confused and thought for a minute that
the mic was mounted in the shoe. It's not of course. Sorry. It is
interesting that you keep a small light running pre ceremony, post
ceremony and for the reception. thanks for the response. Ed