[SOLVED] On chip gpu to Pcie slot gpu ?

Apr 23, 2021
I have a spare Nvidia GTX 1060 3Gb card that I thought would replace the on-chip Gpu in my Medion MSI board PC. I have replaced the 350W PSU with a 550W PSU and installed the 1060 but nothing on the screen a Dell 24". I hear beeps ( maybe 5 or 6 sometimes ) but a blank screen. I downloaded the Win 7 version NVIDIA drivers, however with a blank screen ,no can do. Took the GPU out and no problems. Tried to install the NVIDIA drivers but error message cannot continue as no hardware found. Seems I am left with a Catch 22 situation, any ideas.

Solution
Thought I would have a last shot and think I have found the problem . CPU-DDR3 new GPU -DDR4 I think as its a 1060 NVIDIA. Anyhow BIOS gives 1 beep which according to AMI is failed ram refresh.
Do not confuse the two. Motherboard RAM does not play a role to GPU VRAM. One is DDR3 and the other should be GDDR5. There is no compatibility issues between them.
Apr 23, 2021
As it's an older PC, could be you need to:

1. Use the iGPU to access the BIOS
  2. Change graphics output to PCI Express
  3. Save changes & Exit BIOS.
  4. Shut down and re-fit the 1060
  5. Reboot.
Dont know what an iGPU is, my bios dosnt support anything to do with graphics ( if only it was that easy ). BIOS is about 2011. The only thing I have thought of is maybe deleting the AMD drivers first before inserting the GPU. According to my knowledge you should not have to do this as when a GPU is inserted this should override any on-chip driver.

Apr 23, 2021
At a glance, this appears to be a known issue with Medion motherboards needing a BIOS hack to remove GPU vendor locks.
Ok thanks for your input, I wouldnt have have thought MSI would have made any vendor locks on their boards especially if they placed a Gpu slot to be used ,but maybe Medion made them. I have tried AMD website to no avail. ( Realy surprised how poor the site is for such a big company). Its only my secondary computer so no rush, maybe about time I turfed it, not spending any more money on it though. Cheers

Apr 23, 2021
Ok thanks for your input, I wouldnt have have thought MSI would have made any vendor locks on their boards especially if they placed a Gpu slot to be used ,but maybe Medion made them. I have tried AMD website to no avail. ( Realy surprised how poor the site is for such a big company). Its only my secondary computer so no rush, maybe about time I turfed it, not spending any more money on it though. Cheers
Addendum Thanks for the input, I think I found the prob in the BIOS as you stated. Under Advanced Chipset options I found the ,what sounds like options for the GPU being 1 .OCG 2.PEG and 3.Auto which with No 3. Selected, which would obviously go to the On Chip Graphic. So will try the 2.PEG Thanks once again.

Apr 23, 2021
Thought I would have a last shot and think I have found the problem . CPU-DDR3 new GPU -DDR4 I think as its a 1060 NVIDIA. Anyhow BIOS gives 1 beep which according to AMI is failed ram refresh.

Do not confuse the two. Motherboard RAM does not play a role to GPU VRAM. One is DDR3 and the other should be GDDR5. There is no compatibility issues between them.

Solution