Question On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for new Drivers on the internet.

ahmadmob

Reputable
Jul 4, 2018
I've had a completely fine running Windows 10 on two PCs, but after the May 2019 1903 Update and using Disk Cleanup and removing the previous Windows installation (not sure if disk cleanup caused anything, just speculating and the only thing I did after the upgrade), the Update Driver function in the Device Manager doesn't search the internet anymore for new drivers on both PCs.

When I click on "Update Driver" in the Device Manager -> "Search automatically for updated driver software", a window pops up and immediately (like one half second later or even less) after that the Driver Manager states: "The best driver is already installed" without searching the internet for an updated driver at all.

For testing purposes, I've installed an older driver for my graphics card and LAN card and I'm sure that there is in fact a newer one in the Windows Update Catalog which it should find, if it would work.

Under "System" -> "Advanced system settings" - > "Hardware" -> "Device Installation Settings" it is turned on (i.e. "Yes"), and there is no group policy defined, I made sure that all Registry and Group Policy settings responsible for this are set to default. That's basically all i could find regarding this issue.

You can see how exactly my problem looks like by disconnecting your internet completely and trying to update any device in Device Manager. In other words, Device manager thinks that I don't have internet at all which is so weird. I tried on wireless and on cable, both didn't work. Internet works fine for me on everything else and no any antivirus or firewall is installed.

Is there any log I could provide for more insight?

I've already run a "sfc.exe /scannow" which didn't detect any issues.
I've also already run the DISM health... etc. cmds.

Other than that, everything else is fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit:
I fixed it by making a shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic and let windows fix it for me. Weird... this is the first time a windows troubleshooter helps me. :p It said windows isn't configured to install drivers automatically. LOL
This hardware and diagnostics isn't available on new Windows 10 settings starting from version 1803 so I had to make a shortcut with this parameter.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:

ahmadmob

Reputable
Jul 4, 2018
The wiser option is always to download from your manufacturers site...
Totally agree. But I wanted that feature to be enabled for some certain old hardware (I can't even find the website for that, it's a chinese webcam and a USB wlan) I had that only device manager online update feature was able to install the drivers for. (even windows update didn't help)
It was also a challenge in me to know what caused this. Too bad I didn't know but glad I fixed it nonetheless. :)

Reactions: RememberThe5th

TRENDING THREADS