Question On ear Headphone recommendation

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality but inexpensive set of on-ear heaphones that offers decent noise isolation?

I don't need fancy wireless or Bluetooth or the expensive noise cancellation type. I'm not all that concerned about audio quality either. I just need them for use with an Android phone for radio, music etc. I've been using regular ear buds but they don't block much ambient noise unless I push and hold them in real hard to the point of painful!

It's a long shot I know but I thought I ask if anyone had any strong recommendations.

TIA

kanewolf

Titan
Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality but inexpensive set of on-ear heaphones that offers decent noise isolation?

I don't need fancy wireless or Bluetooth or the expensive noise cancellation type. I'm not all that concerned about audio quality either. I just need them for use with an Android phone for radio, music etc. I've been using regular ear buds but they don't block much ambient noise unless I push and hold them in real hard to the point of painful!

It's a long shot I know but I thought I ask if anyone had any strong recommendations.

TIA
Look for headphones marketed for DJs. They have high noise isolation. I always use Sennheiser. Maybe the HD25.

TIA

You can also get foam eartips for the ear buds, they isolate much better than the stock rubber ones you get with most sets. I like this set a lot, well made, and cheap https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-Pre...ocphy=9001809&hvtargid=pla-562707719891&psc=1

Some detailed info on them here https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/04/ultimate-guide-selecting-perfect-iem-ear-buds-tips/

Just make sure they will fit the set of buds you have, there are several width of the stem of the IEM. If you have those ear buds with the round tips instead of oval that go inside the ear canal, there are several great IEMs for under $50 that have good sound sealing

I love these for the money, and I think they come with some foam tips also https://www.amazon.com/Yinyoo-Comfo...&sprefix=10+zs+pro,electronics,76&sr=1-9&th=1

This is also good at about half the price https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2PC16...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited:

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check those out.

An idea I think might provide the solution is a pair of industrial ear muffs which I can use over my existing ear buds. They are cheap enough and many of them look exactly like headphones. I only need them for occasional use to block out loud talking and background music in a favourite cafe I go to a lot.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check those out.

An idea I think might provide the solution is a pair of industrial ear muffs which I can use over my existing ear buds. They are cheap enough and many of them look exactly like headphones. I only need them for occasional use to block out loud talking and background music in a favourite cafe I go to a lot.

Thanks again.

That is going to get very warm on the ears very quickly. I actually just used a small foldable Sennheiser HD 100 set that were comfortable, had good quality and blocked out sound very well but they seem to be hard to find now. The HD 2.30 seems pretty much the same but also not easy to find for sale. I would get better quality earbuds with foam tips instead of getting ear muffs, you will be amazed at the difference in sound quality if you are using just some cheaper generic things.

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
That is going to get very warm on the ears very quickly. I actually just used a small foldable Sennheiser HD 100 set that were comfortable, had good quality and blocked out sound very well but they seem to be hard to find now. The HD 2.30 seems pretty much the same but also not easy to find for sale. I would get better quality earbuds with foam tips instead of getting ear muffs, you will be amazed at the difference in sound quality if you are using just some cheaper generic things.

I took delivery of a pair of 3M Peltor X4A muffs yesterday and I'm trying them out now in the cafe. As far as ambient sound goes - problem solved! I can't hear a thing. They are rated at NRR 27 dB which is more than enough.

https://www.amazon.sg/3M-Peltor-Earmuffs-Chartreuse-X4A/dp/B00CPCHADQ

The warmth doesn't seem as if it's going to be an issue as the place is airconditioned. One thing I noticed straight away was the squeeze on my ears but as the head band can be straightened a bit this can be reduced.

I was warned by a friend that wearing industrial grade ear protectors in a cafe might look a bit passive-aggressive but they're small enough to look like regular headphones especially with the cables from the ear buds. I also stuck a spare Yamaha badge on (they make headphones) which helps with the look. it's an al fresco type chain place and I don't think anyone will notice much less care.

I'm keeping an open mind about better headphones or ear buds and if I come across a decent sounding set with anything close to the sound isolation capabilites of these ear muffs, I'll go for them.

Thanks for the input

Last edited: