On Epic Gear's 'Defiant' Keyboard, Swap Out Mechanical Switches At Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onijin

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
If they could pull this number off with per-key LED lighting, and get a few different switch manufacturers on deck I'd give a pinky toe for it.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
am i the only person who is finding the mechanical keyboard craze a bit... insane? it seems that people swear over them, and i've typed on quite a few of them, but I would still prefer my standard keyboard over them. my $15 logitech keyboard has been great for the past 4 years, and when it breaks, i'll probably get the same one

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Eklipz I say to each there own personally I been using a mechanical keyboard for 5 years. Long long before that I had a buckling springs keyboard from IBM. That I wish I kept it was a wonderful keyboard and built like a tank!.

I wound't call it a craze the mechanical keyboard. The mechanical keyboard has some merits. One people who tend to use there keyboard a lot! Type a lot game a lot what have you... will find a mechanical to be a bit more durable. The keycaps being a key point! There easy to replace when worn out. There also the fact the keys to me least feel smoother and cleaner. Then there is the fact you can tailor the key feel to your liking. I have tried MX Browns (Where ok but not great very mushy) MX Blues (love them but that click will drive you nuts) what I am using currently MX Black (love the resistances). These are all things most membrane keyboards don't offer!. I also find I can type quicker much quicker on a mechanical keyboard.

Regarding the MXBlue click: I have a x-armor mechanical KB with blues on it, and I was annoyed by the clicking as well, until I put some rubber rings beneath the caps. You can get these by the bag on any shopping site. I went with the red rings, since they're a bit thicker in cross-section and cuts down on excessive key travel by a bit. Noise - a lot better, clicking much attenuated. Worth a try.

Scrim Pinion

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
90 bucks for a modular mech keyboard? maybe I've just been conditioned by what existing companies have on offer, but that price seems to me either very "optimistic," and will be adjusting up before it hits retail, or $90 too high, for what will prove to be junk.

Caanis Lupus

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
@hotroderx The only reason I stopped using my IBM keyboard was I finally moved to a USB keyboard, before that was using a AT to PS/2 converter. Not an accountant so the numpad was unused and wasn't until WinXP that I really started to use the windows key.

$90 seems like a fair price and you are limited to white LED. I overpaid(IMHO) for a Roccat Ryos MK Pro with black switches because I didn't pay attention to it being blue LED only(which is my LED color scheme anyways) but I did get per key lighting control which is nifty.

Indrejue

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
this isn't a new thing Team wold already has a CIY model of their 2 major form factors a TKL and a Full size. you can find them by searching CIY keyboard on amazon and limiting it to just CIY no city. infact here is one. http://www.amazon.com/Team-Wolf-Swappable-Mechanical-Keyboard--Red/dp/B01AL9EWJ4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1457634188&sr=8-5&keywords=ciy+keyboard the biggest advantage is that you can use any standard compatible cherry type switch not just a proprietary probably piece of crap switch.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Cool. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.