On-going performance issu(startup/gamingetc) after upgrading to Windows 10 - Tried most things mentioned in a variety of sites

Alejandro_19

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Hi all!

So probably the web is inundated by this issue, but after doing the following I can't still get my laptop up and running as smooth as it use to:

• My laptop: Samsung 7 series. i73615QM@2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 640M, HD graphics 4000
    Have reinstalled drivers
    Done a registry clean up
    Uninstalled unnecessary programmes
    Killed most startup processes
    Did a very thorough virus and malware cleanup
    De-fragmented HDD

• Still, startup takes ages
    Some delay when typing,
    Delay in launching some programmes
    Considerable Framerate drop in many games which I use to run at al least 35+FPS .
Any ideas out there? Should I revert to Windows 8 or install the whole thing again?
Any indication would be greatly appreciated :)

Many, many thanks.
A

Solution
I would test your HDD, its a possibility that it could be failing.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
download seatools for windows on this website and when you get it installed/opened check off your HDD on the left side and look under basic tests and run a long generic. These do take a couple hours and can take even longer if it is failing.

Jared_31

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
Alot of times on machines older then 2 years that upgraded to windows 10 I see the HDD usage is always stuck at %100 and it does give a real performance hit. Open task manager and see if it is stuck at %100. If so ive found that un-indexing the HDD usually fixes that and gives a performance boost.
How to- Open File Explorer and right click on your boot drive go to properties and at the bottom you should see a box that is checked off saying "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" Uncheck that and it should take about 30-45 minutes to un-index. Let me know if it works. Hopefully it does

Alejandro_19

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Hi Jared,

Thanks for this. Performance did improve a bit, but startup is still very slow and a lot of dips in performance at random times.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Alejnadro

Jared_31

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
I would test your HDD, its a possibility that it could be failing.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
download seatools for windows on this website and when you get it installed/opened check off your HDD on the left side and look under basic tests and run a long generic. These do take a couple hours and can take even longer if it is failing.

Solution

Alejandro_19

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Thanks again, Jared!

Did that as well earlier, and no change. Will run it again tomorrow and see if it improves.

Best,
A